Translate

Saturday 1 July 2023

The People Chose Abstract

 


This SAL is all about what you want to see on the blog.  I asked for suggestions for themes from followers of my blog and then put them up to the members of the IHSW Group on FB to vote for their choice.  We are currently working our way through the choices.  This is what was chosen:

July - Abstract
August - Fairies
September - Small

I think this is going to be a short post...

Abstract - relating to or denoting art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but rather seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, colours, and textures.

I tend to prefer stitching which either looks like what it is or is a nice pattern, such as my samplers.  Bt I did manage to find a couple of things which could fit the description.


This was a Gazette 94 freebie called Autumn Patchwork that I stitched back in 2011.  It's kind of abstract.


These are from a French blog found here - Marie-Thérèse Saint-Aubin.  She designed it to be a pretty pansy, I stitched four of them in wild colours.  So they are a bit abstract!


However there is also this definition:

Abstract - existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence.

Which could cover so many of my projects which exist purely in my head right now!  I have a lot of thoughts about various colour conversions, spooky conversion or collaged projects.  Series of designs I could stitch.

Here's one of them - Princess Elliana but in the colours of Nora's original sketch:



Obviously I want to stitch all the Zodiac Girls from Nora Corbett but I also want to stitch all the Satsuma Street Zodiac signs.  And the set from the Julie Hasler book I showed in my Stitching Library.

I have a lot of 12 Days of Christmas designs and had the idea of stitching all the Partridge in a Pear Tree charts as a big collage.   Or maybe a scrapbook album?

Remember this design from Joan Elliott?  I'd love to do more of her fairies like this:


So that's all quite abstract and unreal too!


Now it's over to you. All you have to do is make a post on the theme of Abstract, mention The People's Choice SAL (you can copy the picture I used at the top of this post and in my side bar) and my blog.  Please link up using the URL of the actual blog post, not the home page of your blog. I look forward to seeing what you all post.

*

*

Finally, I need your suggestions for the next poll.  Anything, no matter how obscure, weird or random will go into the poll.  Keep the theme suggestions to a single word or two - so you could have Cats, or Green, or Holidays, or Warmth etc.   Really anything which could be illustrated in cross stitch.



9 comments:

butterfly said...

Fantastic , taking your stitching to another level Jo .
I enjoy coming over to see what you are stitching this week hugs June.

Pamela said...

Great examples!

Cathy said...

I enjoy see all kinds of stitching. Lovely work!

Carol said...

That would be a tough one for me--don't think I've ever stitched anything abstract. But, you've found some great examples, Jo! I bet next month's theme will be easier :) Enjoy your day ♥

jocondine said...

Not an easy theme for me. I love your choices in your stitchings, great effect for the "Andy Warhol" pansy. xxx

Leonore Winterer said...

Great subject, and great collection of projects!

Katie said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing.

Sandy said...

Abstract...hum....sometimes when I'm thinking I'll knit something with colors x y and z without a pattern, the idea in my head in abstract in that I don't know how much of each color I'll use or need based on what I have in my stash; but as I start I often change as I go and it sometimes ends up with a pattern, and sometimes could be considered more abstract. The pasies are really cute!!
Sandy's Space

Toki said...

I though abstraction and summarization were difficult subjects for me, but I thought that thinking flexibly would broaden my horizons.
I love Princess eliana.