Translate

Thursday 22 June 2023

Longest Day Marathon 2023

 



This was my eighth annual Marathon for The Longest Day.  I always attempt this as close as possible to the Summer Solstice which was Wednesday 21st June this year.  

The day started with breakfast, see the boys off to work/school, put a load of washing in and then down to stitching.  Apologies for the quality of the photos, most of these were taken in daylight which puts a blue cast on everything.  But most of these have decent photos elsewhere in the blog!

First up was Joan Elliott's Face SAL:

9.00 am - Before


I started the Peacock in the lower centre block


9.45 am - Kustom Krafts Little Snapdragon

Added some green to the stalks


10.25 am - Chatelaine Gardens of London

Continued the hedge border on the right


11.00 am - Bothy Threads 12 Days of Christmas


Continued with the red background for Day 5


11.50 am - Carriage House Samplings Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow

Stitched the earth around the skeleton on Block 12


12.30 - Mirabilia Fairy Idyll

Added some brown to the left hand side


Break for lunch

14.00 - Mani di Donna Halloween Sewing Basket


Two pumpkins and some yellow windows


14.35 - Nicole B Hicks Discworld Objectiva


stitched most of the carpet


15.30 Circle Cross Blackwork Tarot


Working my way down Gemini


16.25 Nora Corbett Taurus


stitched the brown in her dress


17.00 Craft Collection Art Nouveau Head


filled in some more brown at the top


Tea time!

18.15 - Yiotas Coffee Fairy

Added some cream to the cup



19.00 - Papillon Around the World in 80 Stitches

More green outline



7.00 pm - Scarlett Letter English Transitional Sampler

continued with the blue outline:


20.00 - Mrs Peggotty Queen of Hearts

Another line of border



21.00 Country Cottage Needlework Halloween Village

Added some grey path



21.45 Stitch It Picasso Temperature SAL


Brown shelves


and so to bed!


Over the course of the day, I stitched on all 17 of my WIPs in half hour blocks.  At the start of the marathon I was setting a 30 minute time for the actual stitching but as the day went on I had to include photo time and setting up/putting away in the time.

I really enjoyed my Marathon again and as usual there are several projects I'd love to keep going on.

Finally, here's how many projects I worked on for the previous marathons:

2023 - 17 WIPs
2022 - 18 WIPs
2021 - 22 WIPs
2020 - 17 WIPs
2019 - 19 WIPs
2018 - 26 WIPs
2017 - 24 WIPs
2016 - 21 WIPs


8 comments:

Carol said...

What a wonderful variety of pieces you worked on for your Marathon Day of Stitching, Jo! That Halloween Village is just too cute on that perfect fabric! Not sure how you can sit and stitch so long, though... I tend to get so antsy after two hours or so and just have to stop. Anyway, it was fun to see all of your progress from a single day :)

Vickie said...

Good for you getting so much done! What a gorgeous collection there Jo. It would drive me nuts to not get them done though. You are cutting the project list down though. :)

butterfly said...

Amazing stitching Jo, wonderful projects you are working on.
You are so talented , thank you again for my wonderful card , just beautiful.
Enjoy your weekend hugs June.

Leonore Winterer said...

Well done finishing another year! Following these SALs over the years, it really shows how much progress you've made getting the number of old WIPs down.

Katie said...

Always fun to do. Beautiful progress on all of them.

Astrids dragon said...

You certainly know how to keep busy, great progress on everything!
I love the Snapdragon, I really need to choose a fabric for mine and get started.

jocondine said...

So well done, I wish having been as much efficient as you, I finally had my marathon day yesterday but with small results (due to an early finish and certainly a lack of concentration!). xxx

Roni said...

I'm always exhausted just reading these to see how many amazing WIPs you work on. I consider many of my WIPs more as PHDs as they lie abandoned for so long as the next thing comes along. But you seem to make genuine progress on lots of things! I still particularly love Hawk Run Hollow piece.