Translate

Friday 1 April 2022

First April TUSAL and my Stitching Library

It's TUSAL time!  There are two new moons in April, so two TUSALs this month,

Here is my TUSAL jar with my current project:



Not much change as I've only just picked up Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow today.  I am hoping to finish this block this month as it's not as fully covered as the previous two.

Last night I completed all the stitching on my Tiny Modernist 3D Greenhouse:


Massive thanks to Sandra who left a comment telling me that she has stitched this and the roof doesn't fit!  I checked the length of the roof and the diagonal of the gable ends, and she is correct.  So I added another row of backstitch onto the gable ends which should help it fit better.  Having this information will change the order I finish this, I am going to do the back wall first starting at the bottom of the roof rather than the bottom of the wall.  It should be easier to fudge and add another row at the base if necessary.  Stay tuned to see how it works out for me!




What's on my Shelf?

This is a new feature I'm going to include on my TUSAL post until I run out of books! I started a Page on my Happy Dance blog for my Stitching Library and realised what a huge task it was so decided to break it down to one book per month. For the next four years...

Title: Carousel Horses in Cross Stitch
Author: Donna Kooler
Publisher: Sterling/Chapelle Publishing 
ISBN: 9780806988368


I first saw this books many years ago when I started stitching, it was published in 1993.  I assumed it would always be easy to find.  Unfortunately not!  But I did manage to get a secondhand copy in 2017 so now I am happy!

The book features one main design for each months with some smaller projects picking out motifs from the large design.

This is January, this is an "ice fantasy" and probably my favourite in the book:


This is February:


And this is October:


The designs don't have the months stitched on them, so you could easily use them just as pictures.  March is a lovely Baby Sampler and June is a Wedding design.  Some of them fit a celebration within that month such as Christmas in December but others are just great designs.  The September design is a wild animal theme on the front cover and August is a rodeo cowboy horse.

The book is a little bit too-Americanised for me to stitch all of them - three months are clearly aimed at the US market although the Mother's Day design could easily be stitched for March and the Baby in May.

The designs are a fair size - 12 x 12 inches on 28 count but not full coverage.  One day you might see one started!


🐇 Good Friday - Friday 15th April 🐇

Finally, it's time to sign up for the Annual Easter Treasure Hunt.    If you would like to take part this year, just leave a comment here.  The week before Easter I will send you a letter of the alphabet which will form part of the mystery phrase.  On Good Friday you will post that letter along with a photo of something seasonal that you have stitched (could be Easter or Spring or just something cheerful and sunny or floral).  We all hop around like little bunnies to find the Mystery Phrase!

Here's a link to last year's hop so you can see how it all works Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop 2021



3 comments:

butterfly said...

Lovely stitching , sad news about the green house that is looking beautiful , I am sure you will sort it out Jo with your skills .
Great book, have a great weekend.

Leonore Winterer said...

Good luck finishing the Greenhouse - I hope you can work out any difficulties with the roof!
I hadn't seen that book before, but I can see why you wanted to own it. These designs are really great, I especially like the October one and the zebra too!

Katie said...

Glad someone was able to help you. How frustrating. Hope it works the way you want it too. Great book. They look beautiful.