Translate

Saturday 4 September 2021

The People Chose Sewing

   

This SAL is all about what you want to see on the blog. Each month I ask for suggestions for themes and then put them up to the members of the IHSW Group on FB to vote for their choice. This is what they have chosen:

September - Sewing
October - Leaves
November - Funny

Sewing and stitching are two entirely different things, two different hobbies although they do overlap a lot.  You can sew your finished stitched pictures into something practical like a project bag or a quilt.  Or you could add cross stitch embellishments to a piece you have sewn.

Or, if your sewing skills haven't advanced much since you were 5 years old, then you can stick with cross stitch featuring sewing themed items!

As soon as I saw this featured piece in The Gift of Stitching magazine I knew I wanted to stitch it.  It took some time because I started at a period when I was starting a lot of things and didn't have a good rotation going so projects got neglected again.  This piece languished from 2012 to 2019 when I made it a part of my WIPocalypse "19 in '19" and completed it in the September.

This is My Lovely Sewing Tools by Marie Suarez:



Stitched on 40 count white linen using the DMC conversion apart from a lovely red variegated thread I had in my stash.  I also made a few changes.   I used a mixture of one strand and two to create texture.  I added the beads in the border, the flower centres and the heads of all the little pins.  Those pin heads are on of my favourite things.  I added charms and buttons according to what I had which would fit.  This is 40 count so I needed tiny things.

There are lots more photos on this post here - Happy Dance for My Lovely Sewing Tools



Now it's over to you.  All you have to do is make a post on the theme of Sewing, mention The People's Choice SAL (you can copy the picture I used at the top of this post and in my side bar) and my blog. Please link up using the URL of the actual blog post, not the home page of your blog.   I look forward to seeing what you all post.

*

*

Finally, I need your suggestions for the next poll.  Anything, no matter how obscure, weird or random will go into the poll.  Keep the theme suggestions to a single word or two - so you could have Cats, or Green, or Holidays, or Warmth etc.   Really anything which could be illustrated in cross stitch.




12 comments:

jocondine said...

It's a lovely pattern from Marie Suarez, I'll find all I need on it for a nice sewing afternoon. xxx

Rachel said...

I thought your post might revolve around this piece. It's one of those designs where the eye picks out different things each time it sees it. A wonderful sewing sampler indeed! :)

Marcy said...

Beautiful sampler! A friend of mine stitched it also.

Carol said...

That looks like it must have been a fun one to stitch, Jo! I love the added charms, too--so beautiful!

diamondc said...

Jo: This is a lovely design, what a fun post to do sewing items.

Catherine

Barb said...

What a beautiful sampler to celebrate sewing tools! I love the colors!

Pamela said...

Your Lovely Sewing Tools are, well, lovely! Very nice!

Sheryl said...

A gorgeous design Jo, I love all the different extra bits and pretty embroidery.

beadgirl said...

My first link-up!

I've long admired this pattern, Jo, and I remember trying to find a copy a while back to no avail. Yours looks lovely!

Claudette497 said...

Poll suggestions - science, space, games, geometric, abstract, tv shows, hippies, quotes, desserts? (not that I've noticed any themes running through my own stitching, haha)

Leonore Winterer said...

I knew you'd be showing this one, it's a perfect fit!

Mary's Thread said...

Your Marie Suarez piece is absolutely gorgeous. It might be one of my favorites of the things you've ever shown! (Right up there with your Halloween Alphabet!) I'm afraid I confused sewing and stitching a good deal in my post. Sorry! I should have read the directions more closely! But it was a good post I thought and I didn't want to redo it!