Translate

Monday 31 August 2020

August Stitch from Stash and Pie

Well, August turned out to be a very productive month, with no fewer than 5 finishes!

Here is the Pie:


Yes, those couched lines on the Discworld Mappe took nearly 2 weeks to stitch.  To be fair, some of those days were very short because it was sometimes difficult to get the enthusiasm to start on them.  I also stitched the lovely silver stars around the edge of the Mappe.  I intend to do a full post this week dedicated to the Mappe, so I will show lots of photos then.  In the meantime, here's another full picture of it:

stitched on 32 count Murano custom-dyed by Sparklies


Holly Noel by Just Nan was the first finish at the start of the month and then it took 20 days to get another finish.  This is the Alice freebie from Passion Creative:

stitched on 28 count linen from a Crafty Kitten grab bag

The original is charted in two shades of grey but I knew I wanted blue for Alice.  Originally I planned to use the dark blue for all the darker stitching but having done her eyes I realised it was just too dark.  So I used the intended lighter blue for the rest of the dark stitching and chose a new light blue.  I love the way this turned out and hope to scrapbook it very soon.

The next finish up was my Summer Sampler SAL with Leonore.  We have both been stitching Just Nan's Morning Meadow over the last eight weeks.  Here's my finish:

stitched on 32 count pale green linen (matches DMC 772)

I didn't have all the charted threads or beads so I substituted blended DMC for the Caron Waterlilies, standard DMC for the Perle and beads which I did have in my stash.


I also made those bunnies darker so they would show up better


This is a very early Just Nan - JN013 copyright 1993, the year I started stitching.  She uses some absolutely wonderful speciality stitches in this sampler.  Some I was familiar with and some that were new to me.  The butterfly stitches are fantastic and I like the satin stitch flowers too.  She uses Mosiac Stitch to great effect, there's so much texture in this piece.  I do wish she would do more band samplers but I have several in my collection so I can't complain too much!

Another Just Nan was the final finish for the month.  This is Jasmine Mix, 49 x 49 stitches but 17 colours and 1 kind of bead:

stitched on 32 count Vintage Country Mocha linen

I absolutely love this one.  The way the B5200 just pops off the fabric and those gorgeous dark pinks, the splashes of yellow.  Great little design.


I did purchase a little treat this month.  I saw a former shopowner selling off some Just Nan exclusive kits from when she owned a shop, for a bargain price and had to snatch one up!  Then the Just Cross Stitch Hallowe'en Special came out so that's an essential purchase.  It is very good this year, now I just have to figure out how to fit a couple of the designs into the rotation!

August
Just Nan Regency Roses £8.50
JCS Halloween mag £7.50
Total £16.00


Finally, with only 2 days left in the month after completing Discworld I decided to pick up a very old project.  So old, it's not even on my WIP list as I didn't discover it until I was stash-diving for old finished pieces to FFO.  This is Bramble Harvest from Needlepoise charted by Judith Stanley in the days of hand-written charts.  This is just the cover, I literally have some blackberries and a row of Fly Stitches and it's a finish!


look at that price tag - £7.50 for an entire kit!






12 comments:

Barb said...

Lots of lovely stitching! Discworld Mappe continues to amaze me!

butterfly said...

Congratulations on all your stitching Jo .
Every one is beautiful , I have fell in love with Alice , I must stitch this one brings back many happy times , my daughter played that part .
It would have been her birthday this week . I know my GGD would love it too,
Have a fun week hugs.

Christine said...

Wow that Mappe! You must be so pleased with it.
Great JN finish too. I actually much prefer her earlier designs with all the interesting stitches

Mary said...

Jo, I'm looking forward to seeing detailed photos of Disco world. It's truly amazing. I was wondering how old is your son that you stitched this for? Great buy on the Just Nan kit!! Congrats on 5 finishes!! The Jasmine mix is so pretty and you have been stitching a long time!!!

Vickie said...

Alice is positively wonderful! The blues are just fab Jo!

Carol said...

What a wonderfully productive month you had, Jo! Discworld is fantastic--have never really seen anything like it! And I love the blues you chose for Alice--much better than the suggested greys :) Having stitched a couple of Just Nan finishes, I know how deceiving they can be--you think you'll have a finish in no time, but with all of the color changes it takes longer than you originally thought! Well done on all... on to September!

Linda said...

Congrats on all of the lovely finishes Jo. What are you replacing Discworld with. It is stunning.

Linda

RJ said...

Jo, your stitches are all wonderful but every time I see the Mappe I'm totally amazed. It is such an awesome project and done so well. Great choices on al your projects. Each one was done perfectly. Have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

DJ said...

Look at you with all your finishes! I'm jealous as my mojo has left the building! LOL But, I'm excited to see all your lovely work. Congratulations on your finishes, especially Discworld Mapp! I know that has been a labor of love for you! All those couched lines...whew! It really does look amazing! I love your Just Nan pieces too, and what fun to find one you had forgotten and finished that up too! Well done! Happy Stitching!

Leonore Winterer said...

So many finishes! You really had a great month. I'm a little behind on Morning Meadow still but plan to do the beading tonight or tomorrow at the latest, and I already have my next Band Sampler start planned, it's been so much fun!
THat WIP find of yours looks great, I love the little blackberries.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I love Just Nan band samplers as well. Their size, the colours she uses and the range of stitches all appeal to me.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on all your finishes this month, both big and small. You must have been very happy with August's productivity. How long since you've been able to boast of 5 finishes in one month? :)