Translate

Sunday 30 August 2020

August WIPocalypse Mystery SALs

WIPocalypse
WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings

Each month we have to share the projects we want to complete before the End Of The World.

Since 2011 I have chosen a number of projects to focus on that year, starting with my "11 in '11" and increasing to "20 in '20" for this year.  This month I stitched on 6 of them.  2 finishes and 1 goal met this month.


Joan Elliott - Faces
(Project 2)

Lyndisfarne - Discworld Map
(Project 5)


JBW - 12 Days of Christmas
(Project 11 - Book 3)

Hands on Design - Broomstick Fuel
(Project 15)



Amanda Butler - Alice in Wonderland SAL in Cross Stitcher magazine
(Project 17)

Just Nan - Morning Meadow
(Project 19)


Measi always gives us a topic to discuss:

August – Have you participated in any of the mystery SALs on Facebook (or other social media)? What do you think makes a successful mystery SAL?

I have taken part in a few Mystery SALs but I am much more cautious about committing myself these days!  The current one is a good example of why.

My usual guidelines would be:

Do I like the designer?
Do I like the theme?
Is there a sneak peek?
Can I keep up?

The Joan Elliott Faces SAL scored highly in all categories.  I love Joan Elliott.  The frame was so pretty and the first face was gorgeous.  Then she released the second block.  A cat's face.  I like cats.  I would have liked a witch's cat.  But this was a moggie and just didn't appeal to me to stitch it.  So the entire SAL stalled!  And we all know that once you fall behind, you stay behind.



I am determined to complete this because every Longest Day Marathon I get it out and love stitching on it.  So the plan is to substitute an owl from one of the fantasy designs for the cat and stitch a block or two each year until it is done.

Other SALs which have also fallen by the wayside include Around the World in 80 Stitches by Papillon.


Reason - it's so fiddly!  I chose to do the speciality stitches version and I am just not loving all the stopping and starting.  I think I prefer my speciality stitches in a band sampler.  I have done loads of those and love them!

The plan for this one is to stitch all the dark green outlines.  Then all the light green foliage.  Then set small goals and see how that goes.

Finally, a successful SAL to finish with!  The Stitchonomy Snowflake SAL from last December.  One snowflake per day.  Of course I decided to be extra and do them all in beads but still completed it by the end of the month.


The Hallowe'en SAL starts soon.  Will I start it?  Will I keep up with it?  We shall see!





9 comments:

Beth in IL said...

Always love seeing your projects and what you have stitched each month. Small goals. Great idea!!!

Sandy said...

great progress, love the world map and have enjoyed watching it evolve!! Thanks for sharing Sandy

Clare-Aimetu said...

Discworld looks amazing, great work. Lots of lovely stitching as always

jocondine said...

Capucine and I are reading your WIPOc update, we agree on congratulating you for progress on Alice stitching (we're big fans of Alice story). Love the map too. xxx

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh my; what sweet and wonderful projects you have on the go. Congrats on all the progress you are making. A new month, come too soon it seems to me. Happy September Stitching!

Lady Stitch-a-Lot said...

Lovely work on all your projects =) I love the Joan Elliot design, I love her designs in general and I think switching out the cat is a great idea =) The snowflakes also look amazing, they match the fabric really well =)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great work on your current projects, can't wait to see close ups of some of them! The faces SAL is gorgeous, and I'm glad you are set on finishing it now, even if it'll take a couple of years.
I do have that 80 Days pattern and really hope to start it sooner rather than later...I so enjoy specialty stitches, but we'll see if I still do in that setting!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Good progress on these projects. I signed up for a mystery SAL once. I thought I would like it based on the designer's previous work. It wasn't to my liking at all.

Rachel said...

WIPocalypse is continuing to go well judging by the progress pictures.
I admire anyone who takes on a mystery SAL, and especially if they keep up with it. I don't think I'd ever commit to a mystery SAL, simply because I like to know what I'm stitching, and that obviously takes away the mystery! I expect you'll finish yours one day, even if it's 2030 by then! :)