Translate

Tuesday 21 June 2022

Longest Day Marathon 2022

 


This was my seventh annual Marathon for The Longest Day.  I always attempt this as close as possible to the Summer Solstice which was Tuesday 21st June this year.  Unfortunately, I had to work that day to cover a colleague's annual review so I chose Monday 20th for the marathon instead.

Unlike the last two years where Covid and work disrupted play, this year I managed to get the entire marathon done in one day which felt wonderful!

The day started with breakfast, see the boys off to college/school, put a load of washing in and then down to stitching.  First up was Joan Elliott's Face SAL:

9.10 am - Before

I started the background on the centre right block:


9.40 am - Kustom Krafts Little Snapdragon


Filled in some pale blue on his wing:


10.20 am - Chatelaine Gardens of London


Added some vines around the top left garden:


10.50 am - Bothy Threads 12 Days of Christmas


started the background for Day 4:


11.20 am - Carriage House Samplings Halloween at Hawk Run Hollow


stitched the mermaid's tail:


12.00 noon - Mirabilia Fairy Idyll


added some dark brown:


A break for lunch and then

1.10 pm - Amanda Butler Alice in Wonderland


Vines and beading next to the Duchess:


1.40 pm - Jardin Prive 12 Days of Christmas


added some red to Day 7:


2.10 pm - Nora Corbett Virgo


finished the 3051 in the border:


2.45 - Craft Collection Art Nouveau Head


Added some brown at the top:


3.30 pm - Yiotas Coffee Fairy


kept going with the cream on the cup:


Break for Small Boy coming home and needing snacks

4.30 pm - Papillon Around the World in 80 Stitches


Outlined one garden shape:


Break for teatime

7.00 pm - Scarlett Letter English Transitional Sampler


continued with the blue outline:


7.30 pm - Mrs Peggotty Queen of Hearts


added a column of dark brown to the left:


8.00 pm - Just Nan Scream House


added some 581 to the base:


8.30 pm Country Cottage Needlework Halloween Village


added some dark grey to the path


(I didn't get much done on either of those two as I was sitting with my older son watching TV)

9.00 pm Just Nan Tea with Honey


backstitched around the edges:


9.30 pm - Living on the Rainbow Bookstore


backstitched the outline of the side piece:



The marathon finished at 10.00pm as that was time to get the Small Boy ready for bed.

Over the course of the day, I stitched on all 18 of my WIPs in half hour blocks.  That did include taking pictures and posting online.  It's always fun to pick up a piece I haven't stitched on since last year to see if I still like it or not.  There are a few where I think "if I could do a little bit each week, I'd see progress on this one" but then I'd do less on my other pieces!

The long-term plan is to pick one older WIP to focus on until a finish.  This year it is Little Snapdragon.  Once I finish that piece, I will pick another older WIP and focus on that one.  Here's how many projects I worked on for the previous marathons:

2022 - 18 WIPs
2021 - 22 WIPs
2020 - 17 WIPs
2019 - 19 WIPs
2018 - 26 WIPs
2017 - 24 WIPs
2016 - 21 WIPs


Finally, I'm going to be taking sign-ups for my Summer Blog Hop on the same theme as last year - Stitching Friends are Friends Who Count. Have a look at this post for last year and let me know if you'd like to take part this year.







8 comments:

Aďka said...

Wau, toľko projektov naraz, máte môj obdiv :-)
Krásne motívy výšiviek.
Pozdravujem zo Slovenska,
A.

gracie said...

Goodness...what a marathon of stitching. Great job.

jocondine said...

Well done! Very inspiring! Fingers crossed I plan to have my longest marathon DIY day tomorrow. Hope I'll reach satisfying goals without going as late as 10 pm! Great to see you planning Stitching Friends Summer BH, I'm in! xxx

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, you did great! Congrats on working on everything in one day. It's so fun to see some of these, even if it's only once a year!
Great job keeping your number of WIPs under 20 too, I think that's a great amount.
Please do sign me up for the summer blog hop, been looking forward to it for a while now!

Carol said...

What a fun way to spend the longest day of the year! You have so many lovely projects, but my favorites are Halloween at HRH and that gorgeous Bothy Threads 12 Days. Just think of all you could do if every day had as much daylight as the summer solstice :)

http://thankfullga447 said...

How wonderful, love this idea. Right now I have family and so many things going on, hopefully in a few weeks I can start back to cross stitching and quilting.

Kerryp77 said...

Awesome job Jo, my flosstube with my longest day should be up later! Happy stitching.

Rachel said...

I always enjoy reading your longest day marathon post and seeing some of your lesser-touched WIPs get some attention for half an hour or so. And each year I wonder if there's even the slightest possibility I may be able to join you the following year. Congrats on your achievements for the day! Maybe 2023... :)