Translate

Saturday 7 August 2021

The People Chose Books

  

This SAL is all about what you want to see on the blog. Each month I ask for suggestions for themes and then put them up to the members of the IHSW Group on FB to vote for their choice. This is what they have chosen:

August - Books
September - Sewing
October - Leaves

Books, one of my favourite things!  But do they translate to stitching?   Of course they do!  We have designs which feature rows of books, designs which literally look like books, designs which are inspired by book characters and designs which are made into books.

In the first category I have this little spooky Bookshop as part of my conversion of the CCN Main Street.  This is Grimoires:

stitched on 32 count Murano in Charcoal Slate from Sparklies


One of my favourite book cover designs was this version of Dracula, this was a freebie from Dam Good Crafts but is no longer available:

Stitched on 32 count Belfast in Amortentia by Chromatic Alchemy

I framed that one but before I did, I photocopied it and made it into a notebook cover for a friend.

This is another design I photocopied the original to make a book-box.  This is Book of Spells by The Goode Huswif:


Stitched on 40 count Jewel Butterbeer linen by Under the Sea Fabrics


There's a video of the box on this post - July Pie 2017

When I finished my Brooke's Books' Stitcher's Alphabet, I made that into a book, complete with ISBN code on the back:




More photos and a video can be found here - Come Happy Dance With Me

Back in 2014 I stitched a Teresa Wentzler freebie dragon for my son's teacher.  The original design was holding a crystal ball but I found a conversion to a book online:


Although you can't download the design any more, there is still a page with the Gallery and various ideas for colour schemes - Futurecast Gallery

Joan Elliott included this little Reading Fairy in her Year of Magical Stitching:

stitched on 28 count Jazlyn in Aurora by Crafty Kitten

My last one for today is just a snippet from a chart I would love to stitch the whole thing.  The part was stitched for a Baby Round Robin back in 2014:


You can see the whole thing here - Mirabilia Baby Round Robin

I'm saving Book Characters for a future post!


Now it's over to you.  All you have to do is make a post on the theme of Books, mention The People's Choice SAL (you can copy the picture I used at the top of this post and in my side bar) and my blog.  Please link up using the URL of the actual blog post, not the home page of your blog.  I look forward to seeing what you all post.

*

*

Finally, I need your suggestions for the next poll.  Any thing, no matter how obscure, weird or random will go into the poll.  Keep the theme suggestions to a single word or two - so you could have Cats, or Green, or Holidays, or Warmth etc.  Really anything which could be illustrated in cross stitch.





11 comments:

Pamela said...

Great collection of stitched books!

Mary said...

Love your Bram Stroker's Dracula!! How about witches and a Harvest theme?

jocondine said...

What a great theme! Love all the books you're showing particularly Books of Spells and the color of the fabric for Dracula's book. The readers look great too, clever conversion for your studious dragon.

Leonore Winterer said...

Obviously, you are much more of a bookish stitcher than I am! Great selection.

diamondc said...

Jo: What an amazing post, I never realized that there were so many book related designs, I love to bits that you put the UPC in stitch's on the back.

Catherine

Barb said...

I am finally able to post again. My computer was not working for several days. Anyway, I love the Book of spells. I have that pattern, maybe I should do it this season. Where did you get the design for the Halloween shops!

butterfly said...

Oh Jo your posts are really great and love this one and the last two I really love and what a great idea of the baby circle on your older post .
Enjoy your day hugs June,

Sheryl said...

Love that Dracula design and so perfect on that beautiful fabric. I also like the reading fairy, great work Jo,

Susan said...

Wonderful projects. I seem to be in the majority with loving the Dracula project - perfect fabric choice.

Marcy said...

Nice selection of books. Love the change to the dragon.

Rachel said...

So many versions of stitched books. The Stitcher's Alphabet has to be the most impressive though, especially with the added barcode. How many others would go to that much detail?!
I too am waiting for book characters to appear, although have a feeling yours will be focused on one particular book and mine on a set of others! :)