Translate

Sunday 31 March 2024

March WIPocalypse Thread Colours

      WIPocalypse

WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings

Each month we have to share the projects we want to complete before the End Of The World. Since 2011 I have chosen a number of projects to focus on that year, starting with my "11 in '11" and increasing to "24 in '24" for this year. This month I stitched on 6 of them and had 2 finishes.


1. Sweetheart Tree - September Strawflowers

Finish



3. Rainbow Hunter - Alice Bottles

Finished Cheshire Cat



13. Joan Elliott - Faces SAL



22. 
Primitive Hare - Hocus Pocus Cabinet



23. Cricket Collection - Spring



24. Cottage Garden Samplings Halloween Sampler



Measi always gives us a topic to discuss:

March 31 – What colours – and brands – of thread do you love using? Do you have a particular colour that you absolutely love?

I am a big fan of DMC thread, it's easy to get hold of, it's nice to stitch with, it comes in a wide range of colours and it's pretty consistent over the years colourwise.  I do have skeins that are different shades so I keep them in separate bags and don't mix them in the same project.  815 is one example, I have a dark skein and a bright skein.

My all time favourite DMC is 115, a wonderful dark variegated red.  I think this is a favourite for quite a few people having seen this question in various groups.

I do use GAST and WDW especially if someone else buys them for me, same with silks.  I'm not a massive fan of stitching with silks to be honest.

I use Krienik and DMC Metallics depending on what is called for and what I have.  

I do have quite a collection of Jodyri Threads as I belonged to their Threads of the Month club for a while.  I stopped because their Post Office kept on losing my parcel and I'd have to rerequest it.  I am trying to use the threads where I can and Hocus Pocus Cabinet had two different skeins in there.
I prefer the skeins which have different shades of the same colour such as Cafe au Lait which is brown/cream.  Some of their threads have 3 totally different colours which I would find difficult to stitch with.  The one I used for the middle bottle was green, white, pink.  I cut the skein in the middle of the green to minimise that colour and it turned out rather well. 


Finally, a Mary has been leaving lovely comments here.  But Mary is "no reply" and does not have a blog listed on her profile so I can't respond to her direct.  It's not Mary from Le Couer Celtique, or Mary from Mary's Thread or Mary from Mary's Stitching Spot!  So if you are Mary, please drop me an email and I will save it so I can reply to your comments.











2 comments:

Akila said...

Great progress on your WIPs. My fav of this lot is Spring and Faces! I do love the dyed WDW and DMC, but no specific colour

Leonore Winterer said...

Another productive month! I am like you, using basically all of the threads with equal love. Jodyri was great, I have yet to find a new source for beautiful hand dyed threads.