Translate

Monday 25 July 2022

Spoiler Alert for FFO Gallery

I wouldn't usually show an FFO before Rachel's FFO Gallery but I just can't wait with this one!

As a show of solidarity with the Ukrainian people I purchased some PDF charts from various Etsy shops earlier this year.  THis particular design went straight to the top of the stitching list -  


The instructions are incredibly clear and seem easy to follow but there is quite a lot of sewing together bits of felt for the roof so I decided to change it up a little and make a rectangular shop instead.

Here are the pieces all stitched and ready to cut out:


The bookshop where I work is number 98 


The garlands are beads rather than French Knots


I added the brick details down each side to make the corners more decorative

stitched on 28 count Tan evenweave

What's your favourite detail?

I also made a base piece out of the same fabric, just backstitched a rectangle the right size.  I used thick card and double-sided tape to mount each piece, then whip-stitched the fours sides together.  Then I whip stitched the base to the building:


I am really pleased with my roof fabric.  My friend gave me some sparkly white leatherette she uses for making hairbows.  I mounted it on card cut to fit the roof area and then whip stitched it to the building using white sewing thread.  Usually I use DMC cotton in a matching shade to the fabric or stitching but sewing thread is sturdier, especially if you are pulling something taut.

Here is the finished piece:





I used clean old socks to stuff it.  Children's socks are perfect for these projects.


My focus piece for the second half of the month has been my Chatelaine Gardens of London.  I decided to work on the borders this time around.  One of the rose borders was completed and I've been working on the other three.

This one is done:




Here is the whole piece so far:

stitched on 32 count Cotton Clouds Belfast from Crafty Kitten

Next task is to backstitch the remaining roses and then the gold backstitch on the two bottom gardens.  After that there is another border in shades of green, designed to look like an ornamental hedge.


I'm also continuing with my Just Nan Super Summer SAL and stitching Mermaid Heart.  Here it is with two shades of turquoise completed:

stitched on 32 count grey-green linen


Finally, I'm going to be taking sign-ups for my Summer Blog Hop on the same theme as last year - Stitching Friends are Friends Who Count. Have a look at this post for last year and let me know if you'd like to take part this year.




 


13 comments:

Rachel said...

Fantastic! And seeing this isn't a last minute FFO, I think you deserve to show it off! Splitting the roll up into walls was an ingenious idea, not that you could do that with the Merry-go-round, if you've bought that one. I love the roof too. So Christmassy.
The Chatelaine has grown quite a lot in the last few weeks. I know you've still got a long way to go, but finishing the hedge around these central gardens will be a good goal to work towards. :)

Елена said...

Dear Jo, the Bookshop is so cute! I love how you made it to look like a real building! and that gorgeous roof! Perfect!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Stasi said...

I love the Living on the Rainbow designs. Your finish is a great alternative to the original.....good job!

Vickie said...

JO! THE BOOKSHOP IS ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS!! HAVE YOU SHOWN IT TO YOUR FELLOW EMPLOYEES??!!

butterfly said...

Oh Jo ,you cross stitch such wonderful designs .
I love to see each week what's new .
Enjoy your new week hugs .

Margaret said...

I love love love the bookshop! Very clever.

diamondc said...

Greetings Jo: I like the fact that you were able to adapt the pattern to your liking.
It is a beautiful finish and the roof fabric wow so pretty, looks like snow on the roof.
Gardens Of London is lovely, nice progress.
Just Nan has so many adorable designs, nice progress on this piece.
Have a great day

Catherine

jocondine said...

How cute shop, I remembered looking the blog of this designer before Christmas, loving all her patterns, gloves, little round shops etc... I love the way you turn it into a 4 walls house and add a lamp post. Very nice finish! xxx

Carol said...

Oh, I love the little book shop you created so much, Jo! What a darling piece! And the snowy roof is just perfect. Well done, you!

Roni said...

Oh love the shop especially the wizard

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, what a great finish, it looks like it was never meant to be stitched any other way! I think my favourite detail is the little castle. Are you planning to stitch any others from the series as well?
Love those rose borders as well! Chatelaines are so pretty.

Astrids dragon said...

See what happens when I'm finally catching up with your posts... poof, it's finished! As nice as it was shown as being round, I love the way you finished it as a regular shop. I like how you added the brick pieces and the beads, nice touch! And adding the 98 makes it truly your own.
The Gardens of London is coming along beautifully, how fun would it be to have the TARDIS show up?!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Beautiful Jo, it's a stunningmpeice, I like your version. Your Gardens of London is growing really well, another beautiful piece.