Translate

Saturday 7 November 2015

The Delightful and Decorative Alphabet Display

It's the first Saturday of the month, so it's time for detention!

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"

I think most of you know the lovely enigmatic Chiara who blogs at The Grey Tail?  We were chatting via email a while back and between us came up with the idea of an A-Z language challenge.  We batted some ideas around and are calling it the The Alphabet Club.  Chiara has the full details on that link but basically she will post a link-up post on the first Saturday of each month (Saturday being detention day in the film) reminding us of the month's letter and we will all link up with themed things, from stitching to designers and local customs.




D is for Delightful and Decorative which all our stitching is and also for the Devil represented by a Spinning Monkey in Dutch mythology.  The monkey comes from the Dark Alphabet by A Note of Friendship.  

D is for Darning and (not quite) Done as you can see from this month's block of the Stitcher's Alphabet by Brooke's Books:




D is for one of my favourite subjects to stitch - Dragons!


A great many of those Dragons have been Designed by Dragon Dreams who do a lovely range of cute dragons as well as some more grown-up looking ones.  

I have one D WIP which comes from Dragon Dreams, this is Dragon of the Winter Moon:


Another favourite D designer is Drawn Thread who do some lovely Delicate designs, including these two freebies:

All You Need is Love

DrawnThreadTreeDSC02481.jpg Drawn Thread First Snow
First Snow

Going through my Blog Roll for D blogs I realised quite a few of them don't blog as much as they used to - Doll's Musings, Dani the Black Belt Stitcher and Dragon Stitching with Astrid.  At least Daffycat is back with a lovely new reindeer design, so she kicks off the Ds:


(not a Star Wars themed blog!)

(with some adorable dragons)

Seems like there aren't that many active D blogs!  Of course the saddest entry in my Reader is this one, Debbie's Cross Stitch.  Our dear friend Debbie who passed away very suddenly in 2014 and has inspired the DUCJC - Debbie's Ultimate Crazy Januray Challenge where you stitch a different project every day in January.  I have finished 15 of mine and made substantial progress on 3 more, which isn't too bad.  You can see the whole list here - WIPocalypse, 15-in-15 and DUCJC.

Finally, thanks to everyone who entered the Hallowe'en Trick or Treat Blog Hop, I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.  The winner will be announced in my next post as will the launch of the Advent Calendar 2015.





22 comments:

Kay said...

I love organisation so seeing a post completely organised by a letter theme is just wonderful for me. I too did the drawn Thread design called First Snow, I made it last year for an exchange and will probably get round to making it for myself one day too. x

Pamela said...

Great "D" post! I've stitched a few dragons and also like designer Drawn Thread. I'd like to stitch First Snow one of these days.

Barb said...

I love all the D's! Your dragons are amazing!

Anna van Schurman said...

Dragons, of course! I have "All You Need is Love." I should stitch it...

Linda said...

Awesome post Jo. I love all of the dragons that you have stitched.

Linda

Mini said...

Once again a beautiful display of D stitching . I'm not into fantasy so can't appreciate dragons much,I love the Drawn thread pieces.

Claudette497 said...

Oh how I miss Debbie. I'm amazed at how many dragons you've stitched!

Heather said...

Great post! I haven't stitched any dragons yet but I have one to do!

Véronique Rose said...

j'aime beaucoup ton travail autour du D,
les petits cadres "besoin d'amour" et "première neige" dont ravissant
bon weekend

gracie said...

Wonderful....

Thoeria said...

Lovely stitching Jo :) Those dragons are gorgeous!

Christine said...

Lots of great D related things, especially all the dragons. You can never have too many dragons

gominam said...

Great post. Oh my, you've got lots of pretty dragons!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Awesome list of D things! Love your dragon collection :D

Bea said...

Love dragons and you have done some wonderful ones.

Julie said...

Great collage of your dragons all together.
Debbie often comes into my mind when I see something on a blog that she was stitching or I remember her finishing. :-)

Katie said...

What a delightful post full of D's. I love dragons too. They are delicious. Hope you have a drama free day.

Tiffstitch said...

Lovely stitching and topic for D!

Leonore Winterer said...

A great many things for D you found - and some great stitching! Especially Dragons are always awesome, and you have so many of them!

Renee said...

The work you shared for the letter D is all fabulous! I must admit, I particularly love the dragons. Beautiful work!

Brigitte said...

A great D post, there are some really great D entries. And oh, all these lovely dragons, what a remarkable amount you stitched.
The Drawn Thread was also my first choice of designers for this letter. Also because she was one of the first designers I discovered when I started stitching, although I started stitching her designs much later when I was certain that I could manage all these specialty stitches which intimidated me at the beginning of my stitching career. Now I love them, well, most of them :)

Stitching Noni said...

I love your post! D for Dragons is definitely my favourite!! :o)
I miss all those great insipring posts from the lovely Debbie....
It is so sad to see so many of the "old" bloggers are no longer blogging regularly but I guess life gets in the way - I know that some weeks I don't get to read any posts in my reader let alone find the time to post on my own blog!!
Hugs xx