Translate

Monday 30 November 2015

November D.E.S.I.G.N. SAL

D.E.S.I.G.N. SAL

The idea of this Blog Hop is to choose a different designer each month and do a post focusing on a piece of their work you have stitched on during the month.  The hosts of D.E.S.I.G.N ask us to answer a few questions on our chosen designer.

1. What designer are you talking about this month?

Glendon Place.  Now technically I haven't actually stitched this designer this month, it was all last month but I couldn't show the finish because it was a gift for someone.

Friendship Compass
FB freebie



2. Have you stitched a project by this designer before?

No, this was my first time!

3. Would you buy/stitch a design by this designer again?  Why/Why not?

Yes, I have The ABC of Fall in my stash.  I believe I have a suitable fabric for it too.  It an impulse buy because it was less than £5 from SewandSo!


I am also tempted to stitch the Compass again for myself using rainbow colours.

4. What made you choose this particular design/designer?

I was looking for the perfect design for Mouse's Birthday quilt and had changed my mind several times already when I spotted the Glendon Place SAL on their FB page.  Instantly I wanted to stitch it and thought it would be just right for the quilt.  Especially with the name Friendship and the Compass being Mouse's friends from all points of the globe.  That is why I put my initials next to the East Point where I live!


I used various shades of purple because it is Mouse's favourite colour (and one of mine too!).  I substituted the beads for bright pink eyelets just in case beads weren't suitable for the quilt finish.
I only stitched the central compass because I thought the entire square might be a bit overpowering for the project.

5. Did you notice anything that distinguished this designer from others?

Glendon Place are an American company and I first became aware of them through my love of Hallowe'en stitching.  Their two best known designs must be Sleepy Hollow and The Witches Wheel:



They also do the most delicious range of mandala designs named after various desserts!  Who could resist a design called Plum Pudding or Fudgy Mint Mousse?

One nice thing I like about their website is that they list all the materials needed to stitch the design, including the fabric size and quantities needed for each thread skein or bead packet. 

**************************************

Finally, talking of desserts made me think of my monthly pie chart!  You can see this month has been very much A Tale of Two Designs - the Blue Ribbon Design Hallowe'en Blocks and The Plum Street Sampler 12 Days of Christmas:



17 comments:

Katie said...

I enjoy Glendon Place too. I've done several of their designs.

Rachel said...

I like the Halloween charts from Glendon Place and have a few in my Sewandso saved list. I'm personally not too keen on their mandalas but am interested in seeing what you are going to do with The ABC of Fall. :)

diamondc said...

Lovely.

Catherine

diamondc said...

I love Glendon Place Designs, I have only done one and hope to do more.

Blessings
Catherine

Justine said...

I've never stitched a Glendon Place design either but I love the witch mandala! Would never stitch it myself but I think it looks very effective on that fabric. Your gift for mouse was lovely and I like the meaning behind the choice too!

Christine said...

Nice choice. I love mandala designs

Steph said...

I think I've probably said it before...but it can't hurt to say it again :) The Friendship compass is beautiful! xox

Linda said...

Congrats on the gorgeous finish Jo.

Linda

Mabon Stitcher said...

I've not stitched any Glendon Place patterns either but have had both the Sleepy Hollow and Santa's North Pole patterns sitting in my 123Stitch wish list for quite some time.

Barb said...

Oh my gosh! I love the Witches Wheel! Great designs.

Bea said...

I'm a GP fan - I think I have all of their desserts. Looking forward to seeing you Fall piece.

Heather said...

Great choices. I haven't stitched one of theirs yet but I'm sure I will someday!

Anonymous said...

great designer, have some designs in my stash, need to stitch it soon :)

gominam said...

I saw the desserts mandala and they're tempting like real desserts, lol. Lovely stitching as always. That's a cool idea to make one for you with the colors you like. Witches wheel is stunning:)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great post! Glendon Place have some lovely designs :)

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful finish! I'm sure Mouse is going to love it. Glendon Place look like they've got some lovely designs, thanks for introducing them!

Brigitte said...

Another very interesting design company that you present us here. I have seen some of their designs on different blogs but have never stitched anything by them. Maybe one day ...