Translate

Saturday 5 November 2022

The People Chose Travel

        


This SAL is all about what you want to see on the blog.  I asked for suggestions for themes and then put them up to the members of the IHSW Group on FB to vote for their choice.  Now we are working through the choices.  This is what has been chosen:

November - Travel
December - Glitter
January - Pick a Designer

Travel - planes, trains and automobiles!

This is a little piece I stitched in 2011 for the Craftivist Collective's project A Railway Adventure.


I commuted to work in a city 30 miles away for 17 years pre-children.  I used to read, stitch or chat with fellow commuters.  We had pre-Christmas Meals together, at least two weddings and a baby from our little "train gang".  So this project was close to my heart.

Here's some of the bunting they made with our flags, mine is right in the centre!



Travel can also mean holidays, so here are two stitched pieces to remember places I travelled to:


Clovelly in Devon

and

Eilean Donan Castle in Scotland



Here's a piece I stitched on those train commutes for one of my fellow commuters.  She did pay me or I'd never have finished the thing!  It was computer charted by another friend and used far too many shades of brown and cream.


My cousin's son's Birth Sampler has a little aeroplane pulling a banner:


Madame Chantilly - On the Beach


I don't think I have many other modes of transport or travel themed pieces.


And now it's over to you.  All you have to do is make a post on the theme of Travel, mention The People's Choice SAL (you can copy the picture I used at the top of this post and in my side bar) and my blog. Please link up using the URL of the actual blog post, not the home page of your blog.   I look forward to seeing what you all post.

*

*

Finally, I need your suggestions for the next poll.  Anything, no matter how obscure, weird or random will go into the poll.  Keep the theme suggestions to a single word or two - so you could have Elephants, or Green, or Holidays, or Warmth etc.   Really anything which could be illustrated in cross stitch.










10 comments:

Pamela said...

I love that you've stitched places you visited. Great memories!

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Oh I had a bus commute for years and it was on that subject that I did my first blog. Oh and a suggestion Trees, have you done trees before?

diamondc said...

Jo: Nice post, travel is a necessary part of everyday life.
I like all your designs.
The owl is beautiful.

Catherine

butterfly said...

Love seeing your posts, the travel one is interesting.
Have a great day.

jocondine said...

That train garland is amazing, supporting train great too. I had to go to work with my car and remember knitting a few times in traffic jam! Love the stitched memory, lovely landscapes. xxx

Sandy said...

The little train piece is adorable and I'm sure brings back many memories. The piece you did from computer charting looks very tedious and hard on the eyes while stitching no doubt; but you did a beautiful job.

As I think back, the only stitching that comes to mind I've done that would fall into travel is a quilt I made a friend highlighting the ski locations we had been to. I don't know if I have a picture of it, it was long ago.

Though I almost always buy yarn when we travel, and typically knit or crochet while in the car coming and going and or plane.
Sandy's Space

Katie said...

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing.

Claudette497 said...

Power to the people! I love that you're stitching was in a protest!

Astrids dragon said...

Beautiful stitching of beautiful places, and the owl is gorgeous. I still have my Clovelly piece to stitch, one of these days!

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, that commuting-community sounds great! Lovey stitching you got done too.