Translate

Friday 11 January 2019

A Finish and an Incentive to FFO

I got my second finish of the year today.  A small project but one which took me all of last year to stitch.  Because I could only stitch one tiny motif per day.  Yes, the Temperature SAL designed by Hetti is finished.  I had to wait until after the end of 2018 to get the final temperature and then it took me a couple of days to complete the border.  Each side of the border represents the last four days of the year.  I also decided to add the location details to mine.


For those of you unfamiliar with this design, each temperature was allocated a DMC colour with purple being below zero Celsius, blue and greens for the cooler days of Winter moving into yellows and oranges for Summer with the red being a mini heatwave we had, then back through yellow and green for the close of the year.  You "read" the design from the centre spiralling outwards.

The little white beads represent days when we had snow.

This was a free design from Hetti's blog which you can find here - Creative Workshops from Hetti

What is the incentive to FFO this piece and turn it into a Fully Finished Object?  The lovely Rachel the Ten Hour Stitcher noticed a gap in the SAL schedule.  There are plenty of Starting SALs and WIP SALs and Encouraging to Finish SALs but that is where they stop.  You finish a piece and all too often it goes to live in a box or drawer.  So Rachel is hosting a Fully Finished SAL on the 10th of each month starting on 10th February, 2019.

More details can be found here - Ten Hour Stitcher - New SAL coming soon

I am definitely in for this one.  Just one question - she refers to bloggers who encouraged her - now who would do an enabling thing like that?  Hmmm...

Earlier in the week I complete a motif on my Lavender & Lace Enchanted Alphabet conversion.  I stitched all the letters over the course of the last couple of years and now I am adding embellishments with a view to completing this design by Hallowe'en 2019.  This month I added a gate from the Jardin Prive Happy Hallowe'en Night design.  I will add some pumpkins next to it next month and in various other places on the chart.

stitched on 32 count Murano in Tiger Lily from Sparklies


Finally, thanks to everyone who joined in with The People's Choice last Saturday, there were some great posts on the theme of New Starts.  Don't forget to leave your suggestions for themes for people to vote on for the next month.



26 comments:

Linda said...

Congrats on the beautiful finish Jo. The colors are wonderful.

Linda

Kay said...

The temperature piece is fabulous, what a wonderful way to remember the year. x

Pink Rose said...

wow Jo beautiful work my friend,i feel like pulling out some of my cross stitch UFO's,hope you have a lovely weekend my friend xx

Pamela said...

I love that temperature SAL! I have been working on a temperature quilt with hexagons, but I am tempted by your project. You should link up with Sarah Did It! - https://sarahdidit.blogspot.com/2019/01/wednesday-weather-report-86-1919.html She is also doing a quilt but encourages all types of temperature projects to link up.

Margaret said...

Love the temperature stitch project. Now I know where to find the chart I'm going to see of I can do one this year (just a year late ha ha) and see what the variations will be when it is stitched for the temperatures in the Antipodes. Probably not so much variation but we shall see.

butterfly said...

Well done Jo another lovely finish .

Always love to visit your blog , very interesting .


Happy New Year.

Julie said...

The temperature SAL looks wonderful now completed. Doesn't the border finish if off so beautifully.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love the sampler - the colours are fabulous.
Liz

Rachel said...

Even if you can't 'read' it, the finished Temperature SAL is very eye-catching. I love that you added in your location for that personal touch too. I wonder how different they would be if you had 5 or even 10 years' worth in a row?!
Love the little icons being added to the alphabet and look forward to seeing that develop more during the year.
Thanks for promoting my new SAL too. I couldn't possibly say who the enablers were! ;)

Katie said...

The temperature SAL turned out beautiful. Love the motifs you are adding to Halloween up the Lavender & Lace alphabet. Can't wait to join in the FFO SAL. I need the kick in my bum to finish up some pieces.

Vickie said...

How cool is that?! I love that you stuck with it Jo!!

Christine said...

I love how the temperature sampler has come out!
Nice motif on the alphabet too

Aurelia Eglantine said...

I love the idea behind the Temperature SAL and how each one will be different - yours turned out gorgeously, I love all the pretty bright yellow :) I'm so bad at FFO too, neat theme for a SAL!

Barb said...

Temperature is so lovely. The colors are wonderful!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Beautiful temperature stitching Jo. I'm looking for a square design and this might just fit the bill, not sure if I can start it just yet so I had better write down the temperatures to catch up.

StitchThrifty said...

Beautiful Stitching! Are you doing the temperature stitch again this year? I was planning to start a temp stitch today actually (well putzing the idea about) so I think fate having me come to your blog is telling me to DO IT!! So I will and share shortly on my blog too. Thank you Pamela for the link to the bellow blogger temperature stitcher. Happy Stitches :>

Beth in IL said...

Nice job on the temperature SAL. Looks lovely. I hope to take part in the finishing SAL. I have a few(cough, cough) that need to be fully finished!

rosey175 said...

Only 9 beads? I feel like I would have to do beads for each day we had ice cream instead. It would be a very beady piece then! You seem to have a rather uniform summer apart from the heat waves.

Sheryl said...

The Temperature sampler has turned out wonderful Jo - lovely colours and what a lot of work.

deb said...

The temperature SAL looks wonderful - this is such a nifty idea (which I've probably said to you half a dozen times already). Going to enjoy watching you fill in tidbits on the Enchanted Alphabet.

Debbie said...

Love how the temperature sampler turned out...Very pretty. Debbie x

FlashinScissors said...

Well done on finishing the temperature chart, Jo!
It looks lovely! I’m sure I’d loose track of the temperatures. Did you manage to stitch them on the actual day?
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Leonore Winterer said...

I love your temperature SAL and I'm having so much fun working on mine! I'll check out that finishing challenge...there really are not enough of these. The only one I can think of is Stacy's 'Finish it Up' Challenge.

RJ said...

Jo this was a real work of love. It is so beautiful. What a lovely job you did stitching it. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Astrids dragon said...

Your temp chart looks great, such pretty colours for 2018. Is this a one time thing? I still have one I'm working on for this year.
I love seeing your Halloween Alphabet coming together!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

The variations in the temperature SAL work well.