Translate

Saturday 10 July 2021

July TUSAL and my Stitching Library

    


It's TUSAL time!

Here is my TUSAL jar with my current project:


Here's what it looked like last TUSAL!


This is the fifth Scary Apothecary from Hands on Design.  This one is Cauldron Cleaner and is stitched on the same 28 count Radioactive linen from Chromatic Alchemy as the rest of the series.  The plan is to finish it this month as tick another box off on my WIPGO Board.




What's on my Shelf?

This is a new feature I'm going to include on my TUSAL post until I run out of books! I started a Page on my Happy Dance blog for my Stitching Library and realised what a huge task it was so decided to break it down to one book per month. For the next four years...

I chose this month's book to go with The People's Choice of Houses.

Title: Home Sweet Home Cross Stitch
Author: Helen Philipps
Publisher: David & Charles
ISBN: 9780715332900


Helen Philipps has a very distinctive style.  Simple designs with a pastel palette, no fractionals or speciality stitches.  They can all be stitched on Aida which makes this the ideal book for a beginner or someone who wants some nice uncomplicated stitching after a long tiring day!

The cover design, above, is probably my favourite from the book.  I would consider doing all the houses in a long line to make them look more like the terraced houses where I grew up.

The other designs are mostly sampler based with some nice touches like the 3D heart added to this design:


Or this giant cushion stitched over 2 on 18 count evenweave - which equates to 9 count aida but you get a nice smoother finish.


This is a lovely redwork sampler with buttons added as embellishments:


Two more sampler style designs featuring little country cottages and button embellishments:


The models are beautifully photographed in a variety of settings around the home so you can imagine what they would look like in your house.  Helen also uses small extracts from the designs to make other finishes such as gift-tags, cards and scissor fobs.

A beautiful book and very inspiring for a beginner stitcher.  Helen also has a rather lovely blog with more beautiful photos - Helen Philipps



Finally, I'm going to be taking sign-ups for my Summer Blog Hop on the same theme as last year - Stitching Friends are Friends Who Count. Have a look at this post for last year and let me know if you'd like to take part this year.







10 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

I have been saying for years that I need to get a clear jar for bits and pieces of thread. I hope to find one on my next Disney trip with a castle or something etched in it. My boy suggested I get shot glass. It just might work. I would totally be up for a Stitching Friends Summer Blog Hop. Let me know how to sign up! Happy stitching! -Andrea

butterfly said...

Interesting blog again Jo .
I like the idea of your book showing .
Enjoy your Sunday.

Mary said...

Just curious, which of the 2 greens is more accurate in color? You made alot of progress on it, will be ready for Halloween! Nice idea of a book review! Have a great week.

Tiffstitch said...

Neat idea about the books, and good progress on the 5th pattern, wow!

Leonore Winterer said...

Great stitching, and great book! I don't think I've stitched anything by Helen Philipps before.

Marcy said...

Lovely book, thanks!

Barb said...

I think the houses will look great in a row!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I've just caught up on your last few posts Jo. As ever, you have been busy stitching and have some great finishes and WIPs. I don't recall JN's Pansy Basket even though I bought a couple of designs in that series.
Please sign me up for the Summer Blog Hop.

Beth in IL said...

Sign me up for the Summer Hop. Not sure what I will post.....

Astrids dragon said...

I spy two sweet kitties, love it!
That looks like a great book, I like the cover houses too.