Translate

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Finally Fully Finishing Fun for March

FFG SAL - 10th of each month
Hosted by Rachel the Ten Hour Stitcher

This SAL is designed to motivate us all to do something with that box of Finished pieces instead of just storing them under the bed.  We will all be linking up on Rachel's blog on or after the 10th of each month (10 Hour Stitcher - 10th of the month).

Last month I showed you the Just Nan Christmas Memories Ornament I had finished as a simple pillow with the intention of adding a trim to it.

Here is the pillow:


And here it is with the ruched ribbon trim:



Close-up of one corner:


What I did was to get a roll of ribbon and sew a running stitch down the middle of the ribbon with a matching thread colour.  I then ruched the ribbon still on the reel by pulling on the thread, ruching it towards the cut end.  I threaded a second needle with the same colour thread and stitched the cut end to the pillow.  Then I made small stitches to attach the ruched ribbon to the pillow.  As I progressed around the pillow, I did more running stitches with needle 1, then ruching, then attaching with needle 2.

It worked really well and it meant I didn't have to estimate how much ribbon I needed in advance, I simply kept unreeling it until it went all the way around.

It took me 90 minutes at my crafty coffee morning which I thought was a good use of the time.

The next two finishes are just framed pieces.  The frames are charity shop specials, painted with black emulusion and then varnished to make them shiny again.

First project is my Mirabilia Cameo from last year:


This is quite an ornate frame to suit the more ornate design:


The second frame is more plain and the design was finished back in 2013!



This was from Pixel Power although I can't find it on their website now.  The runes spell out Gandalf's speech while facing the Balrog on the bridge in the Mines of Moria - "You cannot pass.   I am a servant of the Secret Fire, Wielder of the Flame of Anor.  The Dark Fire will not avail you Flame of Udun.  Go back to the shadow.  L.O.T.R."  I charted those myself.

Because I broke the glass, I put some batting behind the fabric and made it slightly padded.

🐇 Good Friday - Friday 10th April 🐇

Finally, it's time to sign up for the Annual Easter Treasure Hunt.    If you would like to take part this year, just leave a comment here.  The week before Easter I will send you a letter of the alphabet which will form part of the mystery phrase.  On Good Friday you will post that letter along with a photo of something seasonal that you have stitched (could be Easter or Spring or just something cheerful and sunny or floral).  We all hop around like little bunnies to find the Mystery Phrase!

Here's a link to last year's hop so you can see how it all works - Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop 2019






20 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you for the details on the ruching; I didn't know how it was done and it doesn't sound that hard.

Mary said...

I love using the ruching around my ornaments. I love the color trim you chose, it really made your stitching stand out. Your framed pieces look wonderful.

Barb said...

You did a wonderful job with the ribbon. I have been afraid to try that finish but it looks so pretty!

Ann C. said...

WOW, you have been busy this month. Your Just Nan pillow is gorgeous. I will have to try this ruching technique sometime. I love the black frames you chose for both the Mirabilia Cameo and LOTR Gandalf quote. Please add me to your Easter Treasure Hunt.

Kay said...

Thank you for telling us how you did the ribbon, it really makes a huge difference to your wonderful little pillow. x

Rachel said...

Oh, you said your little Christmas ornie was cute but this is way beyond that! I LOVE it! I used the running stitch at the bottom of the ribbon to do my ruching (making it more of a frill I suppose) so will have to try your way next time.
I occasionally buy frames from charity shops too, but only when they are empty or have a terrible picture inside. The two you painted are just perfect for your designs. :)

Vickie said...

Christmas Memories is gorgeous!

Christine said...

The ruched ribbon finishing looks lovely. Nice to see Gandalf popping up again.
Please add my name to the Easter Hop

Julie said...

The rushed ribbon is the perfect addition to the JN pillow.
Two nice bargain charity shop frames which suit the designs beautifully.

Mini said...

I learnt a new word today-Ruched. The ribbon looks perfect .

butterfly said...

Your stitching looks wonderful Jo,
The ribbon looks great fab job .

Katie said...

Oh I love the ribbon. Perfect touch. The frames are perfect too. Great job! Please sign me up for the blog hop.

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

I will be delighted to sign up for the Easter blog, I am so hoping that before then my annoying cold will have gone and I will be able to sew something new. But if not sure I can find something that will fit the theme.

Bethan said...

The ruching is so effective - thank you for sharing how you did it. I love Gandalf and the runes! Please count me in for the Easter blog hop x

beadgirl said...

I love the Gandalf design!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely finishing, that's a great design too. Your framing is lovely, I am hoping to order some frames today. I'd love to take part in the Easter Blog Hop.

Kaisievic said...

What a clever way to do the ruching - I am going to try that on a project soon. Please count me in for the Easter Treasure Blog Hop. hugs, Kaye

DJ said...

Oh my goodness, where to start? Your finishing is lovely!!! I love your Just Nan pillow!! I have always wanted to try that technique with ribbon, and your idea makes so much sense, I may give it a go!! Thanks for sharing how you did it! I love your cameo...and it looks perfect in that frame!! Your other pieces are lovely too, isn't it nice to be able to display them now that they are fully finished! Well done!

Tiffstitch said...

Lovely finishes and good adapting on the Gandalf one, also well charted for the Elvish! Please sign me up. :)

Leonore Winterer said...

That pillow looks great! 90 minutes well spent. I also like the framing, especially the cameo turned out great.
Please do sign me up for the Easter Treasure Hunt - I'm not sure I'll be hunting any realy eggs anytime soon, but I already have plans on what to stitch!