Translate

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Smalls SAL March Update


The Smalls SAL is hosted by Stitching Lotus

I chose three different monthly themes to follow this year:

Hallowe'en Ornie SAL - 12 different themes
Little Stitcher Fairy Tale 12 Days of Christmas - one per month
Primitive Hare Spooky Countdown - one per week starting 31st January

I was nice and early this month with the Hallowe'en ornie, thanks to my train trip to London:

Spring Witch by The Snowflower Diaries

The Little Stitcher will make her appearance with my TUSAL post next week.

The Primitive Hare Spooky Countdown is now in its eighth week so here is Block 8:

Oops, missed six stitches off the top of the biggest book.

I am stitching alongside Giovanna, who is stitching these on one piece of fabric starting in the middle.  We are now stitching the same row which is nice.  At the end of this set of six she will be stitching the first six I have already done and vice versa!

Other smalls I have stitched this week include this design:


I can't tell you anything about it except that it is a gift for a follower.  It went off in the post today so hopefully I will be able to share a photo within the next week to ten days (clue to the location of the follower!).  This next one is also a gift:


Yep, that's the reverse of the bookmark mount!

Finally, that old chestnut - Copyright theft.  As you know I have been stitching away on an A Mon Ami Pierre design all year (Noel Blanc).  I have just learned that the designer is quitting because of copyright theft.  From the old enemies of designers the Russian and Chinese "Repainting" Forums and a new boy on the Piratical Seas - Pinterest.

If you look at virtually any Pinterest Board you will see images of charts.  Actual charts, not links to charts or images of the finished item but the actual chart.  "But they are free designs" the Pinner says.  Yes, but the designer gives them for free so you will visit his/her site and hopefully buy something else or at least enter into a dialogue with him/her - "Thank you for this lovely freebie" won't kill anyone, even the shyest stitcher!  People are not going to visit if they can download direct from your Pin Board!  

"I didn't realise" is the other excuse "Copyright is so complicated".  No, it isn't.  Ask yourself - Did I design this chart myself?  If the answer is Yes, then Pin away happily.  If the answer is No, then don't do it.  Find the designer and put a Pin to her website or her blog, spread the news that there is a fabulous designer out there waiting to talk to her fans.

Lecture over.

Until next time one of my favourite designers quits. 

Edit to add - when I said "Virtually any Pinterest Board" I did not mean Ziggyeor's Kermit Flail Board.  This is officially amazing!



20 comments:

Shebafudge said...

One of the reasons I stay well away from Pinterest. One day people will realise, sadly by then there will be very few designers left! It's disgusting.

Vickie said...

I stay away from Pinterest too. And I do not know wht a repainting forum is. I never heard of it til now. I imagine it is a place for rip offs.

cucki said...

Beautiful stitches..I love spooky stitches
Hugs x

Linda said...

Great finishes Jo.

Linda

Miss Lilly said...

You have created a monster! I've just spent the last half hour snorting at Kermit Flail.
Thank you <3 :)

KimM said...

Beautiful finishes!!

Sandy In Montana said...

Very cute finish.

Take Care & Happy Stitchin' .... Sandy

Pamela said...

Your Halloween projects are very cute.

Unknown said...

Very cute! Any freebies I use from pinterest, I verify they are free and give credit back to their owner.

Christine said...

The little owl on the spell books is adorable.
So sad that AMAP is stopping designing. I always click back through to the original link on charts posted on Pinterest, just to make sure they really are complimentary

Chris said...

Lovely stitching! I hate that this is happening to designers. I really like Pinterest for recipes. I am amazed when I see charts scanned in...it stinks :(
Hugs

Shari said...

Great stitcheries! Too bad this sort of thing happens all the time...even with recipes from cook books, embroidery patterns, etc.

Shari said...

Oh, and it also happens with music and many you tube videos etc. Though often people think it less to copy music or shows or movies...this is certainly a big trade!

Mii Stitch said...

It is so sad the designer is giving up!!! I must admit I have seen a lot of said "charts" on Pinterest. I even on one occasion contacted the designer by email to let them know the chart I just bought from them was "freely" available on Pinterest.... People are really taking the mick sometimes. They should be extra careful & think twice before pining! Don't worry about the rant, I fully agree with you :)

Michelle said...

Sorry to hear this designer is quitting. I don't do pinterest so don't know what its all about really. Love what you did with The Snowflower Diary piece xx

Brenda said...

Wonderful stitching hon!!!

Susan said...

Very nice stitching and finishes. The Pinterest thing seems to be exploding as yours is the second or third item I've read on it in the last few days. It is all just too frustrating.

rosey175 said...

Love the rickrack design on the back of the bookmark! Curious about the front ahaha~

Aaah, pity about a designer quitting. I never have and (most likely never will) use pinterest. I know on Sprite Stitch, they found a person actually selling charts that were designed by SS members and available for free on the site. Some people have balls of steel (steal?).

Giovanna said...

Love how you finished the witch, and nice going on the Countdown. I love Pinterest and pin regularly, but it is indeed very frustrating to find charts there all the time... Thanks for pointing out that board!

Maria del Valle said...

Lovely stitching, Jo!!