Translate

Saturday 29 February 2020

February WIPocalypse, Stitch from Stash and Pie


WIPocalypse
WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings

Each month we have to share the projects we want to complete before the End Of The World.

Since 2011 I have chosen a number of projects to focus on that year, starting with my "11 in '11" and increasing to "20 in '20" for this year.  This month I stitched on 7 of them.

My Discworld Mappe went from here:



to here:

Lyndisfarne - Discworld Map
(Project 5)


Nora Corbett - Gathering Eggs
(Project 6)

Mrs Peggotty's Queen of Hearts
(Project 7)

JBW - 12 Days of Christmas
(Project 9)


Hands on Design - Bat Balm
(Project 13)

Just Nan - Winter in the Square
(Project 16)

Amanda Butler - Alice in Wonderland SAL in Cross Stitcher magazine
(Project 17)

Measi always gives us a topic to discuss:

February 29 – In honour of “Leap Year,” tell the story of a time you had to make some sort of a “leap” in stitching – taking the chance on a new style of stitching, attending a meetup or class, etc.

I guess the biggest leap I took was starting a blog up all those years ago!  I always say I only started so I could take part in the TUSAL but in actual fact it was so I could post about anything I wanted instead of derailing Forum posts by saying "but look at this thing I stitched"!

I also took a leap this year and started a new project on Leap Day.  I just rummaged through the folder I keep purchases in and found this one.  It is by Plum Street Samplers and is entitled Fox Few.  One of a series of piles of animals.  I stitched one fox:

stitched on 32 count khaki evenweave
(which is more green in real life)

So how did that last minute decision affect the pie?



Over half the month on Discworld this time.  This is the portion I focused on this month:


Lots of land and all the backstitch too.  The plan for March is to fill in all the land on the right of that photo.

How about Stitch from Stash?  I joined a survey website last year called Prolific.  They send me various different surveys to fill in online and I earn between 10p and 50p per survey.  You can cash in the money once you have £5 earned.  I had managed to get mine up to £20 so I cashed it in and bought this gorgeous kit which was less than half price on Lakeside Needlecraft's website!


I don't usually buy kits because I have no intention of using the aida but it was the only way to get this design.  I saw someone stitch the First Day as an ornament and it is absolutely stunning so I have invested in it!  I also bought four skeins of DMC I needed to top up my supplies. 

February
Bothy Threads £20.15
4 skeins DMC £2.72
Total £22.87


Finally, I do subscribe to a couple of magazines but this month I signed up for the Press Reader app.  It's a fee app and if you have a Library Card you can sign in with that and get free magazines!  You can't download them but you can screenshot and keep relevant pages.  Just Cross Stitch have decided they will no longer mail to the UK so I will be switching to their digital service.  I wanted to see if Press Reader would let me download the whole issue but it won't.  It's good for browsing but I like to keep my magazines for future use.   However I have already saved a couple of pages from WOCs and Crazy which are also on the app.

Check it out and see if your Library is registered.  If not, then ask them whether they belong to another magazine subscription program.  It's a great way to support your local Library too.  It was the Library Manager who let me know about the App.









16 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Jo, Jo, Jo, I do so love reading your blog posts - Discworlde is looking fabulous - you are getting so very close to a finish. Great work on all the other projects, too and I am already on Lakeside's website looking at that absolutely gorgeous kit, just trying to work out how much the postage will be and do a conversion to AUD. You always inspire me with something new.

Kaisievic said...

P.S. I succumbed and bought it!!!!! When are you planning to start it? Do you wanna do a SAL?

OhSewCrafty said...

Wonderful progress all around Jo. You got so much done on Discworld! The Alice SAL is lovely, after seeing the White rabbit, I decided to get the magazine. Your new kit is gorgeous. Stitching on aida isn’t so bad for full coverage, IMO. Happy stitching ��

Paula H said...

Jo, I love your Discworld Mappe.. it's making me want to re-read the Hitchhiker series (smile). Your other stitching is all beautiful.

Paula H
https://dancingbackwardsinheelsblog.wordpress.com/

butterfly said...

Oh Jo you are making some lovely progress on all your work .
I wish I could stitch faster but it never happens .
I seem to stitch more at night time , just to much going on in the day time .
I told hubby I am going to stitch for an hour every afternoon this year only once have I done this . So I may try again .
Have a great week.

BronnyB said...

Jo, thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. I do love your progress on Discworld and am looking forward to its completion.
HMmmm do I want to follow Kaisevic and join in on a SAL on that lovely 12 days of Christmas??? Let me think about it ...... Why not? Done. It would be fun to be part of a SAL that I'm not organising, with a great end project. I know I wouldn't have it finished for 2020 Xmas, but possibly aim for 2021
Woo Hoo.. I've fallen back in love with stitching....

DJ said...

Oh my goodness, I am drooling over so many of your projects!! The little girl carrying eggs is to die for!! She is beautiful! I'm drooling over the 12 days kit you were able to buy too. It's so different and elegant! *sigh* I do wish it were easier to get Bothy kits here. Oh well...Disc World is coming along beautifully...you really managed to get a lot done (I know how long that backstitching takes!!) What am I saying? All your stitching is amazing! I will say I get the hard copy of JCS, but I also go and download the digital copy (I can using my account number) it makes it easier to print out a copy of whatever pages I am working on. I must say...I may just go paperless in the near future. The only problem I have is worrying I might lose the digital copy with a computer crash...

Mini said...

All lovely projects, the progress on the mappe is amazing.

What a fun thing to earn money for buying stash?

I don't think the press reader app will work in my country.

Christine said...

I'm not surprised you caved and bought that kit, it's perfect for you

Carol said...

So many interesting and diverse projects, Jo! My favorite is still the little girl with her blue eggs :) And I can see why you invested in that 12 Days of Christmas kit!! It really is spectacular... enjoy :)

Julie said...

The new kit is amazing, what a stunning design.
Discworld has grown loads....

Katie said...

Gorgeous work on everything. You really got a ton done on the mappe (still hard to type it that way haha) Love your new piece. I will look forward to watching it progress. Good luck in March!

Barb said...

Discworld is really looking good! I also love Gathering Eggs! That girl is so pretty!

Pamela said...

Wonderful progress! Gathering Eggs is very cute!

Rachel said...

That's amazing progress on your Discworld Mappe again. Do you think you're on course for your planned finish date?
Great progress on everything else too. Is it me or has Queen of Hearts grown considerably during February?
You do like your 12 Day of Christmas projects, don't you? Will that be next year's 12 Days project? :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress on all your projects! The Mappe is coming along great, and I love the super-green fabric on Bat Balm.
I also love your new start, all these piles of animal patterns are so cute and I have a few of them on my wishlist. I can't remember if I've seen the foxes, so I'll have to wait for your WIP to grow a little :)
Great new purchase! Even if you don't want to use the aida, you made a great deal, and I can imagine that these would look even better as ornaments.