Translate

Sunday 29 September 2019

September WIPocalypse Finishing Style and TUSAL

WIPocalypse
WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings

Each month we have to share the projects we want to complete before the End Of The World.  

Since 2011 I have chosen a number of projects to focus on that year, starting with my "11 in '11" and increasing to "19 in '19" for this year.  You can find the full list here.

This month I stitched on four of my list and had two finishes:


1. Discworld Mappe by Lyndisfarne Designs


stitched on 32 count Murano custom-dyed by Sparklies

The Mappe is posing with my TUSAL jar for September

2. . My Lovely Sewing Tools by Marie Suarez

stitched on 40 count White linen

3. Summer Night by Just Nan 

stitched on 28 count Jobelan in Dragon Shades from Polstitches

4. 25th Anniversary Cameo by Mirabilia

stitched on random 28 count hand-dyed evenweave


Measi always gives us a topic to discuss too.

September – What finishing style have you never tried but would love to do?

I have tried a lot of different finishing techniques over the years, from frames to pillows, scrapbooks to exploding books but one thing I have never made is a biscornu.  Possibly because I am not sure what I would do with one - they look like dust catchers to me!  But I have a chart for a Just Nan one so maybe that will be my first!

One thing I really want to make is something I saw on the Needlework Galleria FB page.  They called it a "StitchTangle" and it was a flexible stitched piece you could rotate to make four different pictures appear.  They used a tree in changing seasons as the piece.  I've not seen it since and the video clip I saved no longer exists.

The correct name is Hexagonal Kaleidocycle or hexaflexagon and you can see one in action here - Polyhedra.net - hexagonal-kaleidocycle

The lovely people at Galleria replied to my message and told me the design is called Turn, Turn, Turn and is by Noteworthy Needle - the video is here.



Finally, there will be a Hallowe'en Trick or Treat Blog Hop as usual this year.  I am sure you all know how it works but for those who need a reminder - here's a link to last year's


If you want to take part, just leave a comment here or email me if you are a "no reply" person.  I need an email address for you to take part in this hop.




11 comments:

jocondine said...

Great progress on your 19 in 19 goal for this Wipocalypse! Never done a biscornu, I'd like to do kind of your cubes before trying one. Won't miss Halloween Blog Hop of course! Hugs. xxx

diamondc said...

Jo: At first I thought you had a class of tea on the Disc Mappe, whew so happy it was not what I thought.
I love the two finish's you have.
I have never done stitch box that you untie the top and the sides fall down to expose the scissor, needles and other items inside, I do have a pattern so may try it soon.
Some of my Biscornu's I use as pin cushions.

Have a great week
Catherine

Beth in IL said...

Great progress! I need to get a blog post up.

Astrids dragon said...

You know how to keep busy, two great wips and two lovely finishes!
I have seen that video before and would love to attempt making that one.
Yes, the Halloween Hop, count me in!

Barb said...

I never did a biscoornu either. I agree, they do look like dust catchers! I love your cubes. It appears that you could use them in many places. Lovely stitching!

Rachel said...

Congrats on finishing off two of your 19; quite an achievement this month!
I've never made a biscornu finish either, but would like to. I imagine I'd hang mine up rather than display it on a flat surface to collect the dust!
The geometric shapes are very clever but far too fiddly for me. Perhaps making one could be your 2020 mission? :)

butterfly said...

Lovely finish on your two designs .
Love the sewing one on 40 count .
Have fun stitching with your others .
I must get back to mine this week.

Carol said...

Had to laugh at your biscornu comment, Jo, as I agree! I have never made one and probably never will--just not crazy about them :) Your projects are coming along nicely and your two finishes turned out great--love the little charms on Sewing Tools :) Happy October to you!

Katie said...

Fantastic work on your WIPocalypse pieces. I love making biscornu's. I actually just posted about a Halloween one I plan on making. I think they look adorable even though you're right they catch dust. Noteworthy Needle is a fantastic designer. I love her stuff and she's a very nice person. Too bad this is only a class piece or I would love to have it. Please add me to the Halloween blog hop.

Leonore Winterer said...

You're really staying on top of your list this year. Great progress!
Your finishing goal looks intriguing. Confusing to stitch, probably, but super cool.
Sign my on for the Halloween Hop, I hope to have a new finish by then!

Christine said...

Great progress.
I went through a phase of making biscornus, they make nice little pincushions.