Translate

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Finally Fully Finishing Fun for September

Hosted by Rachel the Ten Hour Stitcher

This new SAL is designed to motivate us all to do something with that box of Finished pieces instead of just storing them under the bed.  We will all be linking up on Rachel's blog on or after the 10th of each month (10 Hour Stitcher - 10th of the month).

This is what I was supposed to be showing as my FFO this month; The Sweetheart Tree Holly 'n' Hardanger:


I had a circular polystyrene shape which was the perfect size.  I cut the original fabric into a circle and drew a circle a bit bigger than the polystyrene shape.  Then I used sewing cotton to make a running stitch all the way around the pencil circle.  Place the fabric over the shape, pull the cotton drawstring, adjust it a little bit, smooth out wrinkles, pull a little bit tighter, adjust again, pull tighter, get the Large Boy to hold it while I knotted the cotton thread and call it done.

Whip stitch a piece of circular felt to the back and cover the edge with a ribbon.  That's where the problem started.  All my ribbons were too wide or too narrow.  The only piece that was the right size was the wrong colour.  So it's off to the Haberdashery to find the perfect width of ribbon.


At least I will have an FFO'd Ornament for next month!

But I still needed something for this post.  Luckily I have had a bit of a finishing flurry over the last few days so I had another project ready and waiting to be framed.  I just had to hope I had the right frame in my stash.  My luck held!

Back at the start of the Summer Holiday I completed my 10-a-Day project which was a Just Nan design called Summer Typography.  I decided that rather than start the next 10-a-Day design I would have a slightly more challenging Summer Stitch.  A sampler in six weeks.  The Random Number Generator chose Summer Night by Just Nan and I divided it up into 42 segments with a row of speciality stitches or colour per day. 

Here's the daily progress pictures:




You can really see the difference in lighting conditions each day with the change in the fabric!

The first 36 days were spent doing the DMC stitching and the final few days adding beads and ribbon.  I couldn't get the Soie Tressage recommended but did get some narrow sparkly silver ribbon which was perfect.

stitched on 28 count Jobelan in Dragon Shades from Polstitches


Trying to capture the beads and the ribbon sparkle


You wanted lots of photos?




The Final Fully Finished Framed piece:






Finally:



All the postcards have been sent out in the Summer Postcard Blog Hop. Thanks to everyone who sent a card in and who posted their card on their blog.  The links go direct to the posts so you can catch up with any you missed!







14 comments:

Katie said...

Those circle finishes are a pain. Great job with almost finishing it up. I do LOVE the framed summer piece. Just beautiful!

Suzanne H said...

Wow! What a great finish and can't wait to see the Sweetheart Tree Holly 'n' Hardanger fully finished next month.

Carol said...

Your round piece will be perfect for next month's finish--good luck on finding the right ribbon, Jo! And I love your Summer Night finish--wow--finished and framed so quickly. I know those designs take quite some time to finish up--the end result is beautiful :) Enjoy your week!

Linda said...

Congrats on the beautiful finishes Jo.

Linda

Tiffstitch said...

I had that happen with a few as well. Not quite the right final touches, but finished enough to show some photos. Great finishes!

Rachel said...

How frustrating about the ribbon, but you've probably done the hardest bit by actually getting your circle circle-shaped! Your frame-from-stash finishes off the gorgeous Summer Nights perfectly. What a lovely reminder of this year's summer holiday.
Thanks for taking part! :)

butterfly said...

Beautiful stitching and beading , everything is just so beautiful .

Rhona said...

Isn't that always the way.....you're short or missing the one thing to finish your piece!
Your summer piece looks amazing and the frame is perfect for it!

Christine said...

Gorgeous finish Jo!
How about ric-rac for edging your JN ornament

Barb said...

The Just Nan piece is beautiful. it looks great in that frame!

Mary's Thread said...

Your Blue Moon is SO pretty! It's neat to see the progression pictures! And I LOVE the Sweetheart Tree ornament too! It will be lovely with the perfect ribbon!

Mary's Thread said...

I thought the Just Nan was Blue Moon! I meant Summer Night! Oops!

Leonore Winterer said...

Great finishes! I think your way of making a circular ornament is much better than what I tried last time. I think I'll try that next.
And Summer Night is so pretty :) I love the way the ribbon is in there and adds some sparkle.

Astrids dragon said...

Well, you COULD say your Holly 'n' Hardanger is fully finished, but THEN decided to add the ribbon around it! Regardless, it looks lovely.
Your Summer Typography looks beautiful, even better framed!