Translate

Monday 30 September 2019

September Stitch from Stash and Pie

Starting with Pie as usual:

As I mentioned in my last post, I got to 14 days on Discworld and decided to keep going until the end of the month  with it.  I reached a good finishing point this afternoon.

Here's where I was last month:


And here's where I am now:


I worked on the piece of paper and the flying eyeball for IHSW:


And then moved down to the landmass and a lot of backstitching mountains; The Rammerock and The Blade Mountains:


Great Outdoors
First introduced as a concept in The Compleat Discworld Atlas, the Great Outdoors fleshes out a hitherto great big void on the old Discworld Mapp running from the Rammerock Mountains and NoThingfjord rimward out to the sea widdershins of Kythia. It covers some two thousand miles of open space, and is described as a patchwork haven of many disparate refugee groups fleeing from trouble or persecution elsewhere on the Disc; possibly a place to bring your tired and huddling masses who are yearning to breathe free, sundry wretched refuse of assorted teeming shores, and those who are generally homeless and tempest-tost. Or who have simply had it up to here with the storied pomp of ancient lands and all the grief it's capable of causing.

The religious, ethnic and linguistic groupings are many and varied, ranging from The Very, Very, Very Plain Omnians of the Slaked Plains to refugees from Borogravia who fled over the border to excape Nugganism and conscription into the endless wars. They settled along the line of the New Kneck River, which apparently does not move much, a point in its favour. Dwarfs and humans from NoThingfjord fled here and set up the nearest thing to a capital city, New Nothing, to escape interminable and compulsory Sagas. Apparently ferocious natives live here too, who don't go a bundle on incursions from palefaces.

There is no government as known elsewhere and no common currency: a complex trading and barter system takes its place. The people are described as linked by a common deep paranoia, mistrust of authority and slowness to accept strangers. Hmm.
Annotation

Idiosyncratic religious groups. Refugees fleeing persecution. Economic migrants. A hardy self-reliant people with a paranoid streak and a distrust of excessive government. Hmm. What was it that was said many years ago about no part of the Discworld resembling any part of North America, by express command... somewhere in here there must be a settlement called Power Cable...

Source: L-Space

This copy of the Cover Page shows how many pages and partial pages I have stitched and how far I have to go:


I've got about six full pages and nine half pages to go, but a lot of those pages are full coverage and the two figures are going to take a long while too.

You've already seen both My Lovely Sewing Tools and Summer Night a couple of times so I won't show them again.  Or the still unfinished Dragon Dreams Ornament.  But I do have Stash to show you.  I've been doing Stitch From Stash every year since it began except one (I had a big Birthday that year and wanted to splurge).  I always keep to my budget except for one month - September.  But luckily Birthday money is excluded from the calculations so I actually have a zero spend to be entered.  But here I can show you some of what I bought.

September
Chromatic Alchemy £18.00
Plum St Sampler Fox Few £8.00
CCN Main Street x 6 £28.50
HoD Scary Apothecaryx3 £14.25
Crafty Kitten £17.95
Total £86.70
The Chromatic Alchemy fabric is for the Scary Apothecary series and the Crafty Kitten fabric is for a Mirabilia I plan to start next year.  I don't have either of the fabrics yet, there is usually a 4-6 week wait but I'm not in a hurry.

The charts all came from Peakside Needlecraft.  Great prices and fast service.  I ordered at 2.30pm and got the despatch email by 3.15pm.  They arrived the next day.

This is what I bought:


I bought three of the Scary Apothecary for my friend and three for me last time.  Now I have the final three and we will swap once we have stitched the ones we own.  The Plum Street Samplers is adorable.  I have seen several of the animal piles and not been interested but this one was irresistible.


I bought three of Main Street previously and Vickie sent me the Gazebo.  So now I have the final six.  I have a cunning plan to do a conversion for these.


Finally, there will be a Hallowe'en Trick or Treat Blog Hop as usual this year. I am sure you all know how it works but for those who need a reminder - here's a link to last year's


If you want to take part, just leave a comment here or email me if you are a "no reply" person. I need an email address for you to take part in this hop.




16 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great progress Jo and lovely additions to your stash.

I'd love to take part in the blog hop .... do you need a spooky stitching photo?

diamondc said...

Jo: I am amazed at how big this design is, I am so looking forward to seeing the finished design.
Thank-you for the explanation of the Disc World, very interesting.
I love all your new stash, you have some great choices to work with.

Catherine

Barb said...

Discworld is so amazing and you are making good progress! L What interesting information you gave about that world. You can count me in for the Trick or Treat Blog hop! You have some great stash!

butterfly said...

Another great post Jo.
Lovely new stash and your stitching looks fab.

Rachel said...

Discworld has certainly come on leaps and bounds since you've been focusing on it recently (obviously!) but it's not until compared against the finished piece that I realised how much. I wonder if you'll miss stitching on it during October?
Great stash too... the Apothecary series should make for interesting stitching and I wonder how you're going to convert Main Street - perhaps a spooky Halloween theme? :)

Mini said...

I'm amazed by the progress you have made on the map.
You certainly splurged with all the new stash.

Vickie said...

Jo I am so pleased to know you will have the gazebo on you Main Street! 😁

Katie said...

Wow amazing progress on the mappe. You did great with your stitching in September! Sometimes spending sprees are just needed. Great new charts. Can't wait to watch them grow.

Carol said...

Oh, my, I had no idea Discworld was so huge!!! What a mammoth undertaking, Jo--but I know you can finish it if anyone can :) Enjoy that new stash!

Linda said...

Awesome progress on the Mappe Jo. I so love your new stash.

Linda

beadgirl said...

I've been waiting for the blog hop announcement; I'd love to join again!

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

I would be delighted to participate in the hop again this year..better get stitching then.

Christine said...

I like the look of those scary apothecary designs.
Please sign me up for the trick or treat blog hop

Beth in IL said...

Discworld is amazing! And Foxy Few has also tempted me. Wait! Did I buy it already? Better check my stash....

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress on the diskworld! I think even with all the land masses left to stitch, yu're a good deal past the half point by now. Great purchases as well; I'm looking forward to seeing when they'll make their way into your rotation :)

Kaisievic said...

Discworld is looking amazing! Such wonderful progress (it has been a loooonng while since I visited you, so no surprise there). Great pie and good stash additions - I have the Fox design, too.