Translate

Sunday 15 September 2019

September Gifted Gorgeousness Link-up Post

2019 GG


Welcome to the September Gifted Gorgeousness link-up.  The link-up date continues to be the 15th and I will keep the link-up open until the end of each month so you have plenty of time if you are late posting.

The format remains exactly the same, there is a list of rules on the main sign-up page if you want to check what is required but basically anything connected to the word "gift" is allowed, whether it was a gift TO you or is a gift FROM you.


My main project for Gifted Gorgeousness has been my Discworld Mappe by Lyndisfarne Designs, which will be a gift for my son.  This is where I left off last GG post:




This is where it was at the end of August:


Here is the portions I have been working on this week:


That will be a piece of paper pinned to the map with the credits to the author and artist.

It's a bit boring to stitch so I did some lettering too:


Widdershins
On the Discworld Widdershins is one of the four basic directions , and the opposite of turnwise. By going widdershins, you go against the turning direction of the Disc, in other words anti-clockwise.

Widdershins (sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) is a word which (usually) means counterclockwise. However, in certain circumstances it can be used to refer to a direction which is against the light, i.e. where you are unable to see your shadow. It is cognate with the German language widersinnig, i.e., "against" + "sense". The term "widdershins" was especially common in Lowland Scots, and was known in Scottish Gaelic as tuathal, which uses the same root as tuath meaning "north", the opposite of widdershins is deiseil or sunwise. In the southern hemisphere, the sun goes anti-clockwise, but in the northern hemisphere, it goes clockwise, which is where the term "sunwise" originates from. Because the sun played a highly important role in primitive religion, to go against it was considered very bad luck for sun-venerating traditions.

It was considered unlucky in former times in Britain to travel in an anticlockwise (because anti sun wise) direction around a church and a number of folk myths make reference to this superstition, e.g. Childe Rowland, where the protagonist and his sister are transported to Elfland after his sister runs widdershins round a church. There is also a reference to this in Dorothy Sayers's novels The Nine Tailors and Clouds of Witness ("True, O King, and as this isn't a church, there's no harm in going round it widdershins").


Source: L-Space

I have a gifted finish with my Summer Project - Just Nan's Summer Night.  This is stitched on gifted fabric:

stitched on 28 count Jobelan in Dragon Shades from Polstitches

And this new start is also stitched on fabric gifted by the same person  - Mouse!  This is another of my "19 in '19" and I was hankering after a new start this week so I chose this fairly small project.  The plan is to stitch a length or two of black each day.

stitched on random 28 count hand-dyed evenweave

This is what it will look like completed:


This is the chart released by Nora Corbett to celebrate her 25th Anniversary of Mirabilia designs.  By using hand-dyed fabric I am hoping to avoid stitching all the background!


Now it is your turn to show us your Gifted Gorgeousness for the month.  Please use your name or your blog name in the field and NOT the words "September Update" so I can easily see who has linked up this month.  And link to the actual post, not just your blog.  It is easier if you copy and paste the link, rather than typing freehand.

*

*

Finally, once again I am a little bit behind in reading blogs but I will be visiting all the link-ups over this week and catch up on non-GG posts at the same time!








20 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Quock hello from France, I'll catch up reading once we're home

jocondine said...

Always great to see your map growing so well! New start, how tempting! No, no, no, must stay wise (already enough of new ideas for the next GG post! ;)xxx

Barb said...

What an interesting post! I knew nothing about Widdershins!

Elfie said...

I am really enjoying your Mappe. It is an amazing project. Summer Night is stunning, znd I am keen to see the Mirabilia one grow.

Beth in IL said...

Love the Mappe as always. And thanks for sharing the information about Widdershins. My daughter wants me to read that book by Dorthy S. Now I am really curious!

Katie said...

Fantastic progress on your mappe and great new start. I'm all linked up and hosting a giveaway in GG honor. Thanks for hosting.

Stephanie said...

Lovely!

Tiffstitch said...

Great new start and lovely finish! Also good idea to change up all that solid stitching with some lettering to get both moving along without getting bored. It's incredible how far along you are on the map.

Julie said...

Summer is so pretty

diamondc said...

Jo:The Mappe is really progressing wow.
Love the finish, Nans designs are lovely.
The new Nora Corbett is going to be beautiful, I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress, finishing, and new start! That fabric looks like the perfect substitute for the background on the Mirabilia silhouette.

DJ said...

Your map is growing by leaps and bounds! It's going to be spectacular when it's finished! I love your Just Nan piece, I don't have many of her patterns, but they always speak to me! And your new start is fabulous (love the fabric!!) Mouse always finds the prettiest fabrics!! Thanks again for hosting GG.

Carol said...

Wonderful progress, Jo! Do you have a target finish date for Discworld? Love your JN finish, too--so intricate and beautiful!

Christine said...

Ooh, I love the new start!

cheryl said...

Congratulations on your pretty finish! The new project will be lovely. And ... it's always fun to see your progress on Discworld.

Bethan said...

Congratulations on your finish! I love the colours of the evenweave for your new piece x

Rachel said...

Fantastic progress on your Mappe again. Looks like it won't be 'too' long until you are officially half way down. Your new start cameo is really sweet. I totally agree with using hand-dyed fabric for the background, but then I'm always looking for ways to cut corners so would say that! :)

Ariadne said...

This month I haven't stitched at all. I am not taking part but really love looking at everyone else! AriadnefromGreece!

Astrids dragon said...

Yay, more progress on Discworld!
I love your thinking on using that beautiful fabric for the silhouette. I hope it works out and you won't have to stitch the background!

Mini said...

Lovely Just Nan finish. I have linked up, just in time.