Translate

Friday 24 April 2015

Happy Conga Time!

Well, if one finish in a week is a Happy Dance, then two must form the start of a Conga?

excerpt from Bothy Threads

Sneaky Peeky of my finish:

The whole thing:
Winter Typography by Just Nan
Stitched on 32 count Lilac linen
Started 14th March 2014
Finished 22nd April 2015

Regular followers may remember Awesome Autumn Typography from 2013 where I changed one of the Autumns into Awesome.  I have done a similar thing on Winter.  Can you spot it?

Autumn Typography by Just Nan

It was a very serendipitous finish too, just as SewandSo are having a 10% off sale, so of course I had to buy the next one in the series - Spring Typography.  I will hold off getting Summer until I have stitched Spring.  There's an incentive for me!

Here's a collage of the details:


As well as treating myself to Spring Typography this month, I purchased an app for my iPad called X-Stitch App by PerformTec Ltd for only £2.29.  They are a husband and wife team who have created this inventory app for cross stitchers.  There are three main sections; the Journal, The Inventory and the Shopping List.  Each area is accessible from every part of the app so you jump from one to another easily.  You can also access the app from multiple devices.

The shopping list is just a notepad where you can details of anything you want or need.  Because the app can be viewed even when you do not have an internet connection this would be useful when you are out shopping.

The inventory is sub-divided into Charts & Kits, Threads and Linens.  Under Linens they have included all the major linen manufacturers and hand-dyers as well as some smaller companies.  There is also a Miscellaneous category for random pieces, or those you dyed yourself.  You select the thread count and the cut size too.  The Threads section also features all the major thread brands and many smaller businesses too.  Here the colours and numbers are preloaded so all you have to do is indicate how many skeins you own of each thread.  My only complaint about this section is that the numbered threads (such as DMC) are displayed in alphabetical order and not numerical order.  eg 3011 comes after 301 and is followed by 3012-3033 then 304 then all the 3041 threads.  This is annoying and could be easily fixed by the programmer putting a zero in front of the hundred numbers, ie 0304 not 304.  You can request dyers to be added to the list under the Settings options.

The Charts and Kits section is amazing!!  Every designer I have ever heard of is there and many I have not.  Resisting the urge to Google.  You just select the designer and add the name of the project plus some free form details of linen, threads.  The designers are displayed by alphabetical order on the index screen, you click on one and it shows the designs you own by that designer, along with the first line of text which is useful.  There is also an option to view all your charts in alphabetical order.

One thing I liked was that they have included a number of magazines, just the US ones at the moment plus Cross Stitcher.  However, there is a field under Settings where you can recommend designers and I have asked for the other major UK mags to be added.  I love the idea of adding the designs from a particular issue into your inventory, very thoughtful.

The Journal section is subdivided into Wish-List, Kitted, Started, Finished and All.  A nice feature is that once a chart is in the Inventory you can do a one click to add it to the Journal and all the information is migrated across.  Unfortunately the two entries are not synced after that so any changes on one are not copied over.  Minor niggle though.  In the Journal you can add photos from your iPad really easily.  You can screenshot from the internet and then add the photos too. 

You choose a Status and then all the designs under that status are listed in alphabetical order by project name.  I found it more useful to add the designer's name at the front of the title so they are grouped together.  You get a nice little picture of the current photo next to each one which can be easily updated each time to make some progress on it.  Once you finish a project you fill in the date and change the Status to Finished and it automatically changes section.

Here's a screenshot of the first part of my Started page:

(must move Winter Typography into Finished!)

So, is it worth it?  I have to say - Yes, it is.  It's a nice little app designed by people who actually know about cross stitching.  It's been very well thought out and is so easy to use.  There aren't many instructions but there is a FAQ page and you can contact them via email.  I sent an email with a couple of suggestions and got a reply despite them being on their holidays!  I guess self-employed people are never really on holiday.

Finally, there is a new blog on the block.  This one is for fans of Teresa Wentzler's intricate and gorgeous artwork.  The Magnificent Teresa Wentzler SAL.  Why not pop over and join in or just ogle the lovelies as they are added?



39 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful love - your winter wonder stitching. Looking forward to seeing Spring make an appearance in your rotation.

Gillie said...

Well done and I got the word.....
I'm sure they'd appreciate any suggestions, changes, Jo, the numbers would irk me a bit.

Gillie said...

Oops forgot you approve.....wonder?

Mii Stitch said...

Another finish?? You're on a roll :D Happy Conga time!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish, Jo! Ah, yes, I can the Wonder, very clever to change that. Your new app sounds fun, although I have no idea how to work anything that takes apps; I've very technology challenged! I don't believe I've ever stitched anything from Tereza Wentzler, but I have my eye on a couple of her charts.

KimM said...

WOW - this is really pretty!!!
xxx

Kate said...

Winter and Autumn are so lovely .... Winter is my favourite - must be the colours. :)
Have a great weekend!

Miamina said...

Well done on the lovely finishes!

That app sounds really useful, I'll have to check if it's available for Android too. Thanks for that info :)

Elle said...

I love your winter wonder typography and think it's brilliant that you changed one of the winters. I somehow think it makes it that much more special and uniquely yours.

Giovanna said...

I can't believe how long I haven't visited your blog... spending too much time on social media, sigh. Love the finishes, especially the conga :-) Great review of the app, it's a very sweet one.

CalamityJr said...

I see you've made your stitching a winter wonder-land! Love the way you've added extra meaning to these designs.

Thanks for the app information. It's definitely something I'll be looking into.

Terri said...

Sounds like a great app! Wonder if it's available for android devices?

Beautiful stitching!

Lili said...

A pretty finish!! Sweet little birds ;)
Hugs,
Lili

Thoeria said...

I'd say that a Conga is definitely called for :D Brilliant finish!
I had a peak at the app when you mentioned it last time...I just need to get it :D

Katie said...

Fantastic finish! Love the wonder you added. Perfect choice. The app sounds really nice. Hope they release on Android too.

Linda said...

Congrats on the gorgeous finish Jo. You added the word 'wonder'. The app sounds complicated to me and besides I don't own a cell phone.

Linda

Katy said...

That is a 'wonder'-ful finish! And I love that app, been using it for awhile! I want them to add a beads section, but I think that's in the works.

gominam said...

Definitely deserves a conga. Beautiful finishes. I was able to spot the word (smug) haha.

Mrs Milkybar Kid said...

Gorgeous finishes Jo - I love those Just Nan Typography charts and your wonder-ful additions :). I was interested to hear your thoughts on that app. I think the only reason I haven't purchased it is because the thread section wasn't as broad as I would like, but I know they add more suppliers all the time so I might take another look :).

Anna van Schurman said...

Wonder how you thought of that. I was looking for...I already forgot. Hung on your every word of your review. I still like the app I have that allows you to look up a floss color and click that you need it, then it shows up in a shopping list--all the flosses you need, not just by manufacturer. (Same problem, alphabetizing the DMC by NAME. There is a filter though, so you can tap in a couple of numbers and get a more manageable list to sort through.)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congrats! Winter typography turned out great!

Justine said...

Beautiful finish Jo, how restrained of you not getting Summer at the same time as Spring!

Margaret said...

Well done you. It is satisfying to have a finish!

Bea said...

Winter Wonder is lovely and I love the colours. the app sounds useful - I'll have to check it out.

Barb said...

Your winter project is just beautiful!! Very interesting about the app.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

Thank you for sharing the app! that looks really great and I'll have to dig into that tomorrow. I loved looking for WONDER in your winter, very clever girl ;D

Kaisievic said...

Another gorgeous finish, Jo. Winter is so, so lovely and very WONDERful as is Summer- how could you resist buying it? I have the Xstitch App, too, on my phone - it is really useful!

Preeti said...

Congrats on the beautiful finish !! I will check that app but I feel a lot can be done to make it more flexible, like adding new designer and magazines etc. to be done by us. That will save them from lot of support and implementation task. And once they have defined correct datatype and its display they don't require to put 0 before the number, it will automatically sort by value/series. I haven't done app programming but basic programming concepts remain the same.

Leonore Winterer said...

Your winter wonder is beautiful, and I'm sure Spring will be as well :) That app sounds handy, I'll have to look into cross stitch apps when I *finally* get a smart phone or tablet myself :D

jocondine said...

Great finish, could have stitch winner. Beautiful typography chart. Thanks for making us dansing so often. xxx

Sarah in Stitches said...

Lovely finish! I see you added the word "wonder." It works beautifully! Love the app review too :D

Susan said...

Congratulations on finishing Winter. I will have to check out the app as I know I was not as good at updating my Excel spreadsheets as I should have been and should do another inventory.

Christine said...

Great finish! Wonder right?
Nifty looking application

Brigitte said...

Winter Wonder and Awesome Autumn are such fantastic finishes. Will you do the remaining seasons as well (if they exist)? And this new x-stitch app you bought seems to be worth the money you paid. Nice review.

diamondc said...

Love your stitching, Winter Wonder is beautiful,
thank-you for the App information, I love modern technology.
The Conga Line is a hoot.

Catherine

rosey175 said...

I 'wonder' what you changed in your beautiful winter typography! It will be fun to have the whole set, kudos to you for your restraint. ;b

I have some random freebie Amazon coins for apps so I might try this one out. I have the Floss Checklist one but it'd be nice to have something for linens and enabling too~

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Congrats on your finish! It's lovely. Thanks for the info on the app too. I'll have to check it out!

Julie said...

Spotted the addition of the word 'wonder' ...
Sounds like a great app, not for me though, sounds like too much effort lol

Stitching Noni said...

I love this App... I bought it earlier this year and used it to track what I needed for my Crazy January stitching.... I so need to get back into and update the Journal part.... and add more charts and kits and threads... well you get the idea!!! Shame I can't stitch and write at the same time! :o)
Well done one your finish.... Conga line is a great idea - keep those finishes coming :o)
Hugs xx