Translate

Saturday 4 April 2015

April WIPocalypse Speciality Stitches

WIPocalypse
WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings

The focus of my WIPocalypse will be my "15 in '15"which are 15 charts I want to stitch in 2015 (following on from my "11 in '11", "12 in '12", "13 in '13" and "14 in '14" - imaginative, eh?)

This month I got side-tracked by the design for the Stitching Out Stigma project so I only managed to stitch on two of my 15.

Here is the final corner of Prairie Moon's Thine is the Trick and the Treat, you can see how close to a finish I am now:

Stitched on 40 count hand-dyed fabric
 
The other piece I stitched is Primitive Hare's Hallowe'en Cubes, the letter L:
 
Stitched on 32 count Vintage Grain linen
 
I also got baby Albert's sampler framed and presented to him:
 
A nice simple frame from Wilkinsons, the perfect dimensions for this piece and therefore the other three in the series which is good to know! 
 
This is the mast in his room!  Daddy is in the Navy so the nursery has a nautical theme.
 
 
 
Measi also sets us a conversation topic:
 
April - Which speciality stitches do you love doing on projects?  Which do you dread?
 
I do enjoy a variety of speciality stitches, the fact that I love Just Nan and band samplers is evidence enough of that!  I don't really have a particular favourite although I do love Bargello or flame stitch:

A Note of Friendship - Dark Alphabet 

 
There are quite a few samplers in my 31 DUCJC starts which include speciality stitches so I am getting lots of practise.  I don't even mind French Knots which so many people hate.  But the one stitch I cannot get the hang of is the Lazy Daisy.  No matter how much I try the "loop" always becomes two straight lines when I put the tying stitch in.  Or if I leave the thread a little loose it becomes a lop-sided loop.
 
Finally, the Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop went online yesterday and by now everyone should have posted their letter.  You have until the 11th to post the answer to the Mystery Phrase in the comment section of that post.  Good Luck!

 
 

30 comments:

Kerryp77 said...

Great progress Jo, I like speciality stitches too. My lazy daisies are always lopsided, I like eyelets and Smyrna stitches.

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I loooooooooove it when the perfect frame just comes along! I've never done the Bargello but it does look like a fun stitch to do :D

Vickie said...

Oh I just love the way baby Albert's sampler turned out. And the way it works with his room. :)

Justine said...

Gorgeous stitching as always Jo. Your baby sampler is absolutely adorable. And Albert - what a lovely name! I envy him his seaside bedroom.

jocondine said...

Love all your progress. Albert gift is great and he already has to choose an admiral or pirate career with that so nice bedroom. xxx

Unknown said...

Albert's sapler will surely look perfect in his room! I also don't mind French Knots, what always is a challenge for me is a project with lots of fiddly tiny backstitch.

Linda said...

Your stitching is so pretty Jo. I like just plain ole x's.

Linda

Kathy H said...

I agree with you about the lazy daisy stitch. If it comes out right, I always think I am just lucky. Your stitching is beautiful.

Preeti said...

Great stitching pieces!! The frame looks perfect !! I haven't done speciality stitches yet.

Bea said...

What a perfect frame for Albert's gift. Suits the pattern beautifully and the whole thing fits into his room decor so well. Great progress on The Trick or The Treat.

diamondc said...

The sampler is beautiful, I love the mast in Albert's room it is adorable.
Happy Stitching

Catherine

Christine said...

Albert's sampler looks wonderful framed up. I think most of us who do counted work struggle with lazy daisy stitches, it's in their nature to be more random and freestyle than we prefer

Lija Broka said...

Great progress!

Sarah Haggett said...

Baby Albert's sampler looks so cute, and fits so well with the room! Also love the look of that Bargello stitch, I think I have some of that coming up in Tuscany Town Mandala appropriately so I'll look forward to it!

gracie said...

Happy Easter....

Jan Gartlan said...

Happy Easter Jo. The baby sampler is stunning. I love your near finish. I think the secret to a lazy daisy is making the loop and holding it in place prior to putting the anchoring stitch in if that is any help

Kaisievic said...

Jo, I am sure that you are going to be the mistress of speciality stitches very soon as you are such a talented stitcher. Congrats on being so close to a finish with Thine is the Trick or the Treat.

KimM said...

Holy Moley, Jo - what great stitching and progress. I'm so impressed - you GO, Girl!!
xxx

Lili said...

Lovely progress on the Prairie Moon.
Pretty frame, a beautiful piece!!
Hugs,
Lili

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stitching, Albert's sampler is very sweet x

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great stitching progress! That frame is perfect for the sampler too. Happy Easter! :D

rosey175 said...

What a great frame; it's so helpful when one just presents itself and is perfect. :D

I'm not a part of WIPocalypse but off the top of my head, I would guess the herringbone stitch is my favorite, especially when layered in fun colors.

Elfie said...

Lovely stitching.

Leonore Winterer said...

Nice progress - so much Halloween in April, but you're almost there with the Trick and Treat piece! I didn't know the flame stitch yet, will have to look that one up :)

CathieJ said...

Albert's sampler is so cute.

gominam said...

Your projects are so beautiful!

Brigitte said...

Oh, this birth sampler turned out so beautiful and will be a wonderful addition to the nursery' s theme. Nice progress on your WIPs.
You are right about Lazy Daisies, they can be very tricky.

Julie said...

What a perfect frame for Alberts gift, his room looks wonderful.
Oh wow... trick/treat is almost a finish, that's grown such a lot this time.

Deb said...

What a wonderful gift! Love all the decorating!
Great update!

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Gorgeous stitching so many lovely projects.