Translate

Friday 10 May 2019

Finally Fully Finishing Fun for May

Hosted by Rachel the Ten Hour Stitcher

This new SAL is designed to motivate us all to do something with that box of Finished pieces instead of just storing them under the bed.  We will all be linking up on Rachel's blog on or after the 10th of each month (10 Hour Stitcher - 10th of the month).

This is a rather old piece which was previously finished in my patented "chuck it in a bag for 20 years" method.  I decided it was time it got scrapbooked as I would never want to use it as an actual bookmark!


This was a kit from Textile Heritage Collection called Fairytale Bookmark stitched in 2000 when my initials were JMM. 


Stitched on the 14 count aida band provided using the non-DMC thread also provided.

Now it is finally fully finished mounted on a fairytale scene from Monet


In the same bag was the Jane Greenoff design Woodland Walk which I posted about here - The People Chose Speciality Stitches.  I decided not to add anything to it on the grounds that if I was going to do that I would have done it at some point in the last 20 years.  So a simple frame and it's an FFO.


The third piece was not quite finished back in 1998 when it went to live in the bag.  There were approximately 20 orange stitches to complete.  Then I whip stitched around the edge with a bead per stitch and added a ribbon hanger.  Done!



This is a better photo of the colours of the ornie, it's a very dark red not bright red.

According to the packet, this was a cover gift from Needlework magazine in October 1998.  Happy 21st Birthday!  What is funny is that the description says "a traditional pin cushion for you to stitch in an evening".  Or two evenings separated by 21 years....


Finally, let's see some newer projects.  For Maynia this year I am stitching on the same projects I started last May.  I started one Just Nan small per day so this year I am stitching one strand on each project on their relevant day.  Here are the projects for Days 6 to 10:


I got a lot done on Day 10 because I went on a train journey so I stitched all the border on this one and on the third one in the series which I did not start last year.  The second one is for Day 11 of the SAL.





18 comments:

Mary said...

What lovely finishes. I really love Woodland Walk and thing the frame is a great choice. Love the idea of working on last years wips, on the corresponding day.

Barb said...

I really need to join a group that encourages me to really finish things. Yours all look very good!

Pamela said...

Nice finishes! Sometimes I pull out something that needed so little to finish and I wonder why didn't I finish it long ago? Good for you on finish finishing three things!

Rhona said...

Great finishes! You're making me guilty about my pile of stitching that needs finishing! :)

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Feels great to finally finish some pieces, doesn't it! I just finished a piece that had been lying around for about 20 years - turned into a cushion. Good to finally see it "out"!

Kay said...

I love having finishes, I just don't like doing that part. x

Cathy said...

Nice finishes! I like the bookmark the best. It's perfect on the Monet paper.

Rachel said...

Thank you for participating in this SAL again, especially as it involved diving into that box of UFOs under your bed! I had to giggle that the little pincushion was finished in two evenings even if they were 21 years apart!!
The bookmark has a Teresa Wentzler/Dragon Dreams feel about it but works really well with the Monet paper.
Also looking forward to seeing more of those Just Nans this year; they're all so sweet. :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great job getting some of your really old finishes fully finished! Hopefully I'll do some digging this month as well. I love the colours on that red ornament/pincushion.

butterfly said...

Love the book mark , Well done on all your lovely stitching every thing looks fab.

Julie said...

The bookmark sits perfectly on the Monet cardstock

Beth in IL said...

Great job on all the finishing.

Christine said...

I have a similar finishing method, it's called "Shove it under the bed and never look at it again". It works for knitting too.
Well done on dragging some pieces out of the bag and finishing them off

Linda said...

Love your finishes Jo. Nice progress on your Just Nans.

Linda

Sheryl said...

Good work on the finishes Jo. The ´done in two evenings separated by 21 years´ is a lovely piece - I bet you wonder why you never finished it before when so little was to be completed (I do the same) and I like the colours of the little bookmark too.

Astrids dragon said...

What a fantastic bookmark/non-bookmark finish!
Sometimes simple is nice, your Woodland Walk looks lovely in that frame.
Wow, 21 years?! I'm sure I have one or two like that... somewhere! It looks great.

Katie said...

Fantastic finishes! Love the bookmark.

Mary's Thread said...

Your finishes are great! I especially love that red bird ornament!