Translate

Friday 31 January 2020

January Smalls, Stitch from Stash and Pie

The Smalls SAL is hosted by Mary's Thread

This year my Smalls will be my JBW 12 Days of Christmas ornaments which I started on Boxing Day 2019 for the 12 Days of Stitchmas.  I completed the first one on Day 9:

stitched 1 over 2 on 40 count white linen

I finished the 6th Jessica Savage Word on the 16th January:

stitched over 1 on 25 count blue evenweave


I was hoping there would be more than 6 of these.  Maybe I will design two more myself.

This is the latest Just Nan Small; Christmas Friends:

stitched on 28 count beige evenweave

I would love to complete 12 Just Nan Smalls this year.  Last year I managed 8 but then stalled on this one.

As usual I have prepared a Pie to share with you all; a Stitching Pie.  I include my main focus piece for each day.  A "day" may only be an hour of stitching or it may be 5 hours but it all averages out.  


I managed to stitch for nearly half the month on the Discworld Mappe which went from here:


to here:

sttiched on 32 count Murano custom-dyed by Sparklies

My original plan was to stitch on the Alice in Wonderland SAL for 3 days per month starting with the border at the beginning of January.  Which I did.  But then the next issue came out on the 23rd just as I completed my 15th Day of Discworld.  So I started on the first block straightaway.  Here is Alice watching the White Rabbit disappear down the corridor:

stitched 1 over 2 on 32 count yellow Belfast linen 



I rather like the more sketchy effect of only using one strand of thread instead of two.  It also makes the backstitch so much easier as you can actually see the holes in the linen.


I've been stitching the blue borders while I watch TV and the motifs inbetween at bathtime.

When I completed my second 3 day stint on Alice I had 6 days of the month left, one of which was a full work day.  I knew I'd only get an hour at lunch to work on my Small so I used the Tiny Decision app to choose which project I should stitch the rest of the days.  The first day came up as the Brooke's Books' Stitcher's Alphabet (which I showed in my WIPocalypse post) then I spun again for the remaining four days and got Nora Corbett's Gathering Eggs.

Last time I worked on her was the Longest Day Marathon last June and she looked like this:


In four days I finished the purple ribbon, the aqua skirt and started the white fill-in:

stitched on 35 count Vintage Country Mocha linen

I do enjoy stitching her but for some reason she seems to take a long time!

Finally, my Stitch from Stash figures.  I have done this every year except one since the beginning when it was a Blog Challenge.  Now it's on FB and hosted by the lovely Ms Oh Sew Crafty.  It was a very low-spend month, I only bought two skeins of DMC from the local Wool Shop.  I am planning another cheap year with only magazine subscriptions and essential threads/bead purchases.

January
2 skeins DMC £1.90
Total £1.90










17 comments:

DJ said...

Wow!! You've been busy! Look at all the things you finished!! I love the little girl gathering eggs. She is super sweet! Why is it that some projects seem to go slower? That baffles me!! Of course I love all your projects, but Alice catches my eye. I can't wait to see more of her! Disc World is coming along...it's so satisfying to see progress isn't it? Your stitching is lovely and I enjoy visiting to see what you've been up to!

Mary said...

Wow! I am loving all of your projects. The Discworld Mappe is really amazing and you made a lot of progress.

Kaisievic said...

Jo, great low figures for Stitch from Stash. You are so good, I always get too tempted although I must admit that last year I bought hardly anything. Your 12 Days of Christmas from JBW looks great - will we be seeing it on the Christmas Ornie SAL blog? I'm loving Alice in Wonderland - she is looking so gorgeous. Which brings me to ask, is it worth me getting a digital subscription to CrossStitcher Magazine? Do you find it a worthwhile purchase? I'm loving Gathering Eggs and wonderful progress on Discworld.

Linda said...

Love all of your stitching projects Jo.

Linda

Clare-Aimetu said...

I'm always amazed at how much you stitch, your projects are all do lovely

http://thankfullga447 said...

So glad you have accomplished so much.

Kate said...

I'm in awe of the interesting charts that you have and it goes without saying that your work is beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing all the 12 Days of Christmas. Carry on having fun. ;)

Katie said...

Beautiful progress on everything. Keep it up! Hope you have a great February too!

Lynn said...

Your stitching is all so lovely and you've completed so much this month! I love the Alice in Wonderland one. I can't wait to see the rest of that series!

Cathy said...

Lots of great stitching this month! I'm glad to see Gathering Eggs out again.

Mary's Thread said...

Wow! I love all the projects you have for this month! I can really see the progress on some of your bigger projects now too, it must be really gratifying! I love your JBW 12 days series. She's such a great designer for those little elegant designs. The Gathering Eggs project is especially pretty, and I love the Alice in Wonderland SAL! Finally, thanks for joining the Smalls SAL again! :)

Julie said...

Alice is so detailed, and oh so lovely

Elfie said...

Your needle has been flying! Beautiful projects.

Ann C. said...

Your stitching is beautiful. Great progress on all your projects.

Leonore Winterer said...

What a great start to your stitching year! I love your 12 Days smalls, they seem to stitch up quickly but still have so much detail. Shame there were only 6 of the words! I'd love to see you come up with some more.
The mappe also saw a lot of progress, as did Alice and Gathering Eggs! I love the aqua/yellow combination of her dress.

Christine said...

Great stitching Jo! I must admit I was in such a hurry to get to the Alice chart I never even noticed the word chart had switched to something else. What a shame I was hoping for more of them too - I'm not keen on all of them and I wanted to cherry pick six to make a cube

Rachel said...

Congrats on your fabulous stitchy month!
The backstitching on Alice makes such a difference, and thank you for showing the original sketch. The designer's definitely done a great job translating the black and white sketch into a colourful cross stitch design. I do hope the remaining eleven are just as good. :)