Translate

Saturday 15 June 2019

June Gifted Gorgeousness Link-up Post

2019 GG


Welcome to the June Gifted Gorgeousness link-up.  The link-up date continues to be the 15th and I will keep the link-up open until the end of each month so you have plenty of time if you are late posting.

The format remains exactly the same, there is a list of rules on the main sign-up page if you want to check what is required but basically anything connected to the word "gift" is allowed, whether it was a gift TO you or is a gift FROM you.


My main project for Gifted Gorgeousness has been my Discworld Mappe by Lyndisfarne Designs, which will be a gift for my son.  This is where I left off last GG post:


This is where it was at the end of May:


Here is the portion I have been working on this week:



Turnwise Ocean
Like other worlds, even nearly spherical ones, the Discworld has only one ocean.  Like ours, however, it is divided into arbitrary bits for easy reference.  Also like ours, these arbitrary bits are defined according to the viewpoint of those drawing the maps.  The three contiguous continents (arbitrarily defined themselves) divide the ocean into two main areas, and that attached to the Circle Sea (the people drawing the maps) is further divided into the Rim Ocean, the area nearest them, and the Turnwise Ocean. The far side of the Disc is known as the Widdershins Ocean.

The Turnwise Ocean extends from about Hergen and the Brown Islands to the Counterweight Continent. It includes the island of Mithos and the be Trobi Islands, with Gonim, Whale Bay and Ecalpon hubwards.

Trob is an island mentioned in The Colour of Magic whose sailors sometimes visit the Counterweight Continent. The beTrobi people are fairly simple and speak in metaphors. With words like Awayawa, Orohai and Raruaruaha, beTrobi seems to be linguistically very similar to the South Sea Islands of Roundworld, also known as Polynesia.

Brown Islands - The natives speak a complex language and once worshipped an inn-sewer-ants polly-sea that fell from a high thermal into a bush from the smoking remains of Ankh-Morpork in The Colour of Magic. The strange (is anything strange when dealing with gods?) thing is that they have received surplus rainfall and a rich crop. The research team sent from Unseen University reported that "it only goes to show".

Source:L-Space



Here's where I am today:




Other gifted projects include my Butterfly Needlebook by Just Nan which is stitched on gifted fabric:

stitched on hand-dyed 28 count pink evenweave



Now it is your turn to show us your Gifted Gorgeousness for the month.  Please use your name or your blog name in the field and NOT the words "June Update" so I can easily see who has linked up this month.  And link to the actual post, not just your blog.  It is easier if you copy and paste the link, rather than typing freehand.

*
*


Finally, there will be a Summer Blog Hop this year.  We will have an International Theme for the Postcards this year.  Each person emails me a photo of something they have stitched on an International theme which is suitable to send to a fellow stitcher along with a short message of the kind you write on a postcard.  I will forward the photo to another participant who shows it on their blog.  The photo can be anything which fits the International theme, let's see which countries we visit this Summer.  If you'd like to take part then leave a comment or send me an email.

A couple of people have asked "what do you mean by "International"?"

To which I replied "Use your imagination!  If you don't have something which represents a country or an area of the world, how about a mode of transport?  Or something designed by an international designer?  Or gifted by an international friend?  Or stitched on French Navy fabric? LOL!!"

The Hop will run over the whole of the Summer with a few cards going out each week.  Final deadline will be the end of August, just in time for Back to School!



17 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your Discworld is looking great, lovely needlework too. I'm looking forward to the Summer Blog Hop 🙂

Julie said...

Your son is going to love having Discworld, all that wonderful loving work stitched my his mum. It will contain all the memories of the books being read together over his childhood.

Astrids dragon said...

Your Discworld is coming along beautifully, I'm sure he must enjoy watching it come together.

Linda said...

Awesome progress on the Mappe Jo. It looks great.

Linda

jocondine said...

Beautiful Discworld, great fan of map I love to see your progress. xxx

Mary said...

I enjoy seeing your progress on your ambitious project!! YOur son is going to appreciate all the work his Mom put into this.

Rachel said...

Great progress on your two GG projects; the Butterfly Needlebook is especially pretty. :)

Katie said...

Fantastic progress on your pieces!! All linked up. Thanks for hosting.

Beth in IL said...

Thanks for hosting this. I never sent you your gift. Sigh. Maybe this week....I do love Discworld. You are doing great.

Christine said...

That's a huge amount of progress on the Mappe. Well done!

Tiffstitch said...

Great progress on Discworld! I'm looking forward to getting into other parts of the series now I found a couple I really like enough to re-read.

rosey175 said...

*zombie noises from Ishkabibble corner*

Love seeing the giant leap of progress on the Discworld piece! I think I've heard of a few people who still worship inn-sewer-ants polly-sea. Hopefully you've inspired a few more people to pick up the books with this piece! :D

Mini said...

I wrote a post in a hurry, will come back later for commenting.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Your Discworld Mappe is growing wonderfully!!! This is such an amazing project Jo! I love Terry Pratchett's books so much 🐢🐘🐘🐘🐘🌍 The floral corners in your Just Nan design are very pretty too. Looking forward to travelling around the world for the Summer Blog Hop!

RJ said...

I've been out of town for about five weeks and I've missed all of your wonderful stitching Jo. Discworld is fabulous and I know your son will LOVE it. Your other projects are all coming along well too. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Leonore Winterer said...

I thought I had left a comment before, when I first read your post, but I'm late, I'm here, I'm linked up and I love your progress!

FlashinScissors said...

Eeek, I'm so late linking, but I didn't want to wait for the next link up, and wanted to visit others too!

Your Discworld is amazing, Jo! Its coming along sooo well too!

I'm glad you explained it as I've not read any of the series.

Hugs,
Barbara xx