Translate

Saturday 23 March 2019

Full Moon in March



The full moon in March was on the 20th of the month so it was very appropriate that I put the final stitches in my moon on that day.  I couldn't find a good chart for a moon so I took a photo from Google and ran it through Pic2Pat to produce a chart with just 4 colours.  Here's how it turned out:


This is my spooky conversion of Lavender & Lace's Enchanted Alphabet stitched on 32 count Murano in Tiger Lily by Sparklies.  Each month I am adding various additions to the design.  I think I will add some bats around the moon next month.

On Friday I went along to my crafty coffee morning and completed Fairy Roses, at last.  The little yellow stitches are all smyrnas which adds a nice texture to the flowers.  There are a lot of different shades of rose pink in this design as well as three greens.  The lack of symmetry and the density of the coverage made this quite a time-consuming piece.  A charm for the centre is on order.

stitched on 32 count Antique White evenweave.

This was the final Just Nan small I started for March Madness 2017 so the next one I pick up will the 1st Stitch Maynia start from 2018.  My plan for Stitch Maynia this year is to stitch the same design on each day that I did last year.  Except for the first day as hopefully I will have completed that one in April.  I can have a new start that day!

Most of this week has been spent focused on The Discworld Mappe by Lyndisfarne Designs:

stitched on 32 count Murano custom-dyed by Sparklies

I have completed the land of XXXX which is loosely based on Australia and continued with the lettering on the crest.  Which is very time-consuming and fiddly.  All the stitches split blocks and stitches, the words are mispelled and wonky so you have to count every stitch.  It's not like normal lettering where you learn the letter format and it becomes like writing.  Every version of each letter is slightly different.

I did measure the fabric and it's actually 17 stitches to the inch rather than 16 because of the hand-dying process.  A 28 count would have been easier but it would have been even bigger!  The coverage is excellent though.  To have a break from the lettering I stitched some of the red and white border.

XXXX

Pronounced "EcksEcksEcksEcks", or "Fourecks", if and when people on the main continent bother about this mysterious continent of XXXX. It is so named because rumours have long held that a landmass exists in such-and-such a position in the oceans, but no explorers ever made it there to learn its proper name and then come back to tell of it. Old records in the Unseen University Library tell of two separate expeditions of wizards that attempted to reach the last continent centuries ago, one of which was reputed to have been led by a Sourcerer.

The continent indeed exists. Its people are characterized by an easy-going attitude and an absolute refusal and incomprehension of the phenomenon of rain, until the events chronicled in The Last Continent. The Ecksians have a very colourful language with many complicated colloquialisms. They have learnt to live with the almost exclusively poisonous nature of their flora and fauna.

Source:- L-Space


Finally, I will be hosting my Annual Easter Treasure Hunt on Good Friday the 19th April.  If you would like to take part this year, just leave a comment here.  The week before Easter I will send you a letter of the alphabet which will form part of the mystery phrase.  On Good Friday you will post that letter along with a photo of something seasonal that you have stitched (could be Easter or Spring or just something cheerful and sunny or floral).  We all hop around like little bunnies to find the Mystery Phrase!












18 comments:

Cathy said...

Nice stitching this time. Your Discworld Mappe is really progressing and I love the Just Nan finish. The moon is very realistic.

Katie said...

The moon looks fantastic. Perfect choice. I agree with you bats would look great around the moon. Congrats on your Just Nan finish. Beautiful. Great work on the mappe. You really got a lot done on it this time around.

gracie said...

Love the moon. This pieces is looking marvelous. Count me in for the Easter blog hop.

Barb said...

I love the moon on your enchanted alphabet. Discworld is really coming along! That is one amazing project.

butterfly said...

Great stitching Jo, you have stitched so many wonderful designs .
Have a lovely Sunday .

Mini said...

I love the conversion you did for the full moon.
Thats lot of fiddly back stitching.

rosey175 said...

Love the backstitching in the crest. I can see where you'd want a break from it though, whew! Your moon stitch looks good on the Halloweenybet. The bats will look awesome around it!

Go ahead and add me to the Easter Hop!

Linda said...

Congrats on the pretty finish Jo. Your moon looks awesome. Nice progress on the mappe.

Linda

Christine said...

The moon looks great on your spooky alphabet.
Please sign me up for the hop

Astrids dragon said...

Wow, your stitched moon look amazing! Bats would be a perfect addition with it.
Sometimes those small ones take up a lot of time, but it sure is pretty!
You are running with Discworld, it's looking good.

Rachel said...

Wherever there is a Halloweeny moon there have to be bats!
I empathise with all the backstitch wording on Mappe, especially as it splits stitches. It's necessary yet must also be a little frustrating.
Looking forward to seeing the charm added to your latest JN finish. :)

Julie said...

Your moon looks perfect, a great addition.

Faith... said...

The moon was a great addition to that piece! Can't wait to see the bats added in.

Janet said...

I am in love with that moon!!!

Carol said...

Wow! That moon is fabulous, Jo--and little bats hovering by it will be a perfect addition...

Clare-Aimetu said...

Much as we like a full moon this month we wished it was cloudy as we're sleeping in the conservatory and it's been so bright it's been like daytime! I'd love to take part in the Easter Hop, thanks Jo

Carla - Alaska Wolf Pack said...

I think at this point you can just put my name in permanently for the Easter blog hop :D

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, that moon looks awesome! Somehow it completely changes the way the Spooky Alphabet looks, going away from that exclusive black/orange look, and I love it. Great work on your Just Nan too (and I do like your plans for Maynia - I can't believe you finished that whole first set now!) and on the Mappe.
I don't remember, did I already sign up for the Easter Hunt? I'd hate to miss it!