Translate

Monday 16 April 2018

April's Air Stirs in the TUSAL Jar

Tusal

It's TUSAL time, the Totally Useless SAL where we all show our ORTS and link-up on Daffycat's blog.

Here is my TUSAL jar with two current projects:


Rosey asked what a "flat ORT tin" is in my last post, it's nothing fancy, just a little tin that was a cover gift with one of the magazines (probably Cross Stitcher).  But it's quite flat and fits nicely in a slim project bag:


I keep a needleminder on top so I can place my needle there when I am changing threads.  That's a size 28 petite for scale.  Inside the tin is a month's worth of ORTS prior to being put in the glass jar in the photo above.

The two projects in the photo are my focus piece for April; Gardens of London by Chatelaine:

stitched on 32 count Cotton Clouds Belfast by Crafty Kitten

I've been stitched the pavement on the right hand side today, not quite finished it.

The other project is my bathtime stitching; Alice by Mrs Peggotty:

stitched over 1 on 25 count blue evenweave

I am well onto the second column of pages now.  The edge of the pink at the top is the edge of that column.  I have stitched a lot of the flamingo's neck and have now moved down to the bottom of the design to work on the body of the flamingo and Alice's hands.


The title of this post is a nod to the answer to the Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop.  As usual each participant displayed a letter which formed a mystery phrase when you hopped round them all.  This year's hop was the biggest ever so we had the longest phrase.  I chose the first part of a haiku by Matsuo Bashō:

April's air stirs in 
Willow-leaves...a butterfly
Floats and balances

A few more people and we could have had the whole phrase!  I put everyone's number into the Random Number Generator and Mary's name came out.  That is Mary from


Well done Mary!  I will contact you about arranging a nice little prize.

As well as my prize, one of the participants had a giveaway too.  Please visit Cathy's Blog to find out who won that prize.  



Finally, everyone who participated in the Blog Hop and who left a comment will be getting entered into my Five Peaks Hop Challenge this year.  If you participate or comment on all five Blog Hops in 2018 your name will go into the draw for a prize at the end of the year!


24 comments:

Justine said...

I still laugh at bath time stitching...I know it's not your bath but it sounds as if you're stitching while having a soak! I like the little ORT tin. I have a triangular fabric thread catcher, I might have to put a needleminder on it now I've seen yours!

Rhona said...

I love your little ort tin...it's so cute...and perfect for popping into your project bag!

Kaisievic said...

Congratulations to Mary on her win - I do not know why every year I get the precise wording of the phrase wrong! I am not usually dyslexic - lol! It was such a fun blog hop, Jo, thank you. Great ORTs this month, my dear.

Katie said...

Great job on your projects. I agree with Justine. I read a book during my son's shower time. I always joke about how it's not near as much fun when I shower since I can't read haha. Congrats to Mary for winning the giveaway. It was a fun blog hop indeed. So many beautiful blogs to hop through.

Cathy said...

I like the flat ort tin. I use a small Glad storage container for my orts before they go into the bigger jar. Also, thank you for mentioning my blog--the winner is there, but I haven't heard from her yet.

Brigitte said...

Congratulations to Mary for winning. Your Easter blog hop is always such a lot of fun to do.
Great progress on both your projects. It's always so nice to see your Chatelaine coming out. A special piece.

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress, and congrats to Mary! When I am on the go, I usually just put my ORTs in my phone case, but your flat tin has way more style.

D1-D2 said...

Is it that time already? I'll have to make sure to post mine tonight. Love your little tin.

Jeetje said...

What a cute little tin!

Clare-Aimetu said...

Great idea with your flat tin - congratulations Mary and thank you No for a great Easter Blog Hop

Linda said...

Nice progress Jo. Alice looks great.

Linda

deb said...

Always like seeing your progress on your various projects - how cool is it that you're stitching Alice's flamingo? The flat little tin is a great idea and it's pretty too.

Merlynn said...

Your ORT's tin looks great! Mine is an origami and slowly disintegrating. I need a new one.

Christine said...

Great progress on your WIPS.
I've got the same little tin, mine lives in my wedding bag with an emergency sewing kit in it, you'd be surprised how often that's needed

Sheryl said...

Amazing work on Gardens of London and I like the pretty blue fabric you have chosen. Congrats to Mary. Another great Easter hop this year.

Tiffstitch said...

Congrats Mary! And great progress on your Chatelaine. That looks so detailed and amazing!

Mini said...

The free gifts with British magazines are just lovely. Congrats to Mary.
Lovely progress on all your projects.

rosey175 said...

Oh, nothing fancy, just a perfectly lovely little tin that looks cute with everything! Here my jar was rummaged out of an old storage shed LOL.

Congrats to Mary and your London is looking delightfully sparkly. :D

Lady Stitch-a-Lot said...

Lovely progress =) I enjoy every update on Gardens of London =)

butterfly said...

Lovely stitching Jo , I always love your colourful stitching .
Love the cute tin , mine is square much the same.
Great minds think alike . Have a lovely week .

Daffycat said...

Great ORTs, Jo! I love your little travel tin. I have a similar one.

Stitching Noni said...

Well done Mary!
I always forget to take a photo of my ORTs - I really must get back into the habit :o)
Hugs x

Bethan said...

Such a cute ORT tin; and a clever idea to have a needleminder on top! Congratulations to Mary x

Julie said...

Your little tin looks very Cath Kidston'ish.
Lovely progress this time.