Translate

Saturday 1 July 2017

The eXciting and eXhilarating Alphabet Xerlo

It's the first Saturday of the month so it's time for detention!

"They only met online, but it changed their lives forever"



I think most of you know the lovely enigmatic Chiara who blogs at The Grey Tail?  We were chatting via email a while back and between us came up with the idea of an A-Z language challenge.  We batted some ideas around and are calling it the The Alphabet Club.  Chiara has the full details on that link but basically she will post a link-up post on the first Saturday of each month (Saturday being detention day in the film) reminding us of the month's letter and we will all link up with themed things, from stitching to designers and local customs.


I am so impressed with my title this month!  Although I have a feeling that "xerlo" may actually be a made-up word.  I found it here - Word Central

"xerlo

  1. Function: noun
    Definition: a person's place or their things that they keep at their place
    Example Sentence: My xerlo is filled with my favorite things."

Anyway, here's what X stands for in the Dark Alphabet:


Xaphan is a fallen angel who fans the fires of hell!  You can find out more about him on The Note of Friendship blog.

X is also for the most obvious one of all - X stitching:


This is from Brooke's Book's Stitcher's Alphabet.  A close-up of the stitcher's crown, I substituted beads for plain stitching in the crown:


Not surprisingly I don't have a whole lot of themes or designs beginning with an actual X but I do have a design by Mr. X-Stitch:

The lovely Mona Lisa stitched over 1 on 28 count evenweave
1.75 x 2.25 inches in size - Xtra small

I stitched a Xylophone for an alphabet sampler:



I also have a chart by Xs and Ohs in my stash:


And I have this wonderful app:


There is a small charge for the app, I'm not sure how much because I've had it for years now.  There is a section for threads with so many different brands, a section for fabrics and a section for charts.  Almost every designer you can think of is in there and if they aren't, just email the app designer and he will add them at the next update!   Once you have added your charts you can export them to the Journal and mark them as Kitted, Started or Finished.  You can add as many notes as you want.  There's also a Wishlist and a Shopping List.

Just a really useful app and very simple to use too.

Blog roll time and I found just three blogs with a X or 2 in the title:





Finally, X is Xasperated.  Which is what I am with Photobucket.  I used them when I first started using the Yuku Boards before I had my blog as they were a nice photo hosting system, you could make folders and label your photos.  When I started my blog I continued to use them although I did realise that it was easier to load photos direct from your desktop.  Until Blogger had a hissy fit for a few months then I had to revert to Photobucket.  So you can imagine my horror when I saw this all over my earlier posts:



Yes, Photobucket have decided WITH NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER to start charging for 3rd party hosting and are holding all my photos to ransom unless I upgrade my account with them.  So now I have to go through 6 years of blog posts and my entire Happy Dance blog to find out which entries need to have the photos re-added from my desktop.  Thank the Stitching Goddess that I saved everything on there too!

Thanks Photo*ucket.

26 comments:

Linda said...

Love your X stitch projects Jo. Another blogger posted about having the same problem with photobucket.

Linda

deb said...

The Mona Lisa piece is amazing!! Always love your Alphabet Club posts - oh dear, only two more! :(

Did you get the little survey from Photobucket a couple weeks ago? The two-question, what-do-you-do-with-the-pictures-we-host thing? I never thought twice when I responded that I post 'em on my blog. Grrrr. I've fixed posts back to December of last year... Ugh!

Barb said...

Photobucket is certainly being a pin. You did an awesome job coming up with x things!!!!

Barb said...

I meant to say photobucket was a pain!!!!!

Beth in IL said...

So sorry about the photos! What a pain! Like your X post.

Brigitte said...

Wow. Yes, you can really be impressed about what you found for this letter (as difficult as it is) with or without the shoehorn, lol. Great post, Jo. I'm still struggling with the V.
Sorry about what happened to your pictures.

CJ said...

Great post about the letter X. Sorry about your photobucket.

Lili said...

Great post, Jo! I really like that Dark Alphabet! :)

well about photo*ucket (LOL) ... same on my blog, since my first post (2010), and also on both SAL'S blogs, Halloween and Christmas... I replaced the photos on the Halloween blog just for the two recent blogs posts...

Enjoy your Sunday!

diamondc said...

Jo: What the heck with photo bucket, that is so sick, they must be hard-up for money.
You have been very busy stitching, X can be a tricky letter to stitch.

Blessings
Catherine

Julie said...

your Brookes Books is almost complete, its been lovely watching that come to life, I'm looking forward to seeing it all completed.

jocondine said...

Great post about the most liked letter of the alphabet for X stitchers. Of course Mona Lisa (I just finished!) is my favorite but BB alphabet wears an elegant crown. I'm not giving up with the TAC try to join the V of Victory in July. xxx x 1000.

Mary said...

Very clever post with all the x's but that Mona Lisa extra small is my favorite, she is beautiful done in cross stitch. Mary

Leonore Winterer said...

That's a lovely post for a difficult letter...until the very end. That's really outrageous of Photobucket, they should give at least a few weeks notice before doing something so drastic! It's a good thing you still have the pictures saved, though.

D1-D2 said...

I read about that on another blog. That's a ridiculous thing to do to customers. I personally use Google photos. I take pictures with my android phone and all pictures get automatically uploaded and backed up there. It makes things much easier to post pictures on blogger.

Bethan said...

What a great selection of X things! Well done. How really irritating of Photobucket - at least you were organised and had your pictures saved x

Sally said...

I haven't used Photobucket for a while so I bet my photos on Needlecraft Haven will have disappeared.

Lots of brilliant X photos. Love the Mona Lisa one. It's so tiny!

FlashinScissors said...

Great X's, Jo! Love the Mona Lisa especially! I wondered why so many blogs had that weird statement ..... I thought it was some sort of scam thingy ..... so sorry to hear the problems they've caused!
Perhaps it's a good job I don't know how to use gizmos after all!
Barbara x

Christine said...

Photo Bucket. Yes, well, don't get me started, a name to be spoonerised if ever I heard one.
Well done on finding the X connections, all I could think of was xenophobia and that didn't seem like a very good topic for a post

Astrids dragon said...

For such a hard letter as X, you had quite a lot!
So sorry you've had such a hard time with Photobucket. I think I might have photos there, but who knows now!

Kerryp77 said...

I'm disappointed Jo! I thought all alphabets had xylophone for X! I really do love the Brookes book square.

The Crafty Princess said...

Hmmm this one should be easy as afterall cross stitching is just a bunch of little x's, however after an x-tensive search there was little I could do with this letter. I feel like I let you down...sad face
But they all look x-tremely x-hilarating. X-cellent work
xxxx Alicia

Kaisievic said...

What a fantastic X post - you found lots to write about and all stitchy-related, too! Xerlo is a great word to add to my vocabulary! The X stitch App is very good (if you actually use it and don't just let it sit on your phone, like I do! lol!). Oh, that is really such a pain of Photobucket and so unfair not to give you notice!

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Wonderful X post except for the Xasperation with Photobucket. That is just not right! Not giving notice is... well I try not to use those words when blogging :-)

Sarah in Stitches said...

Great X post! I don't know what's going on with Photobucket, everyone seems to be having problems. I hope you can figure out a way around it soon!

Sheryl said...

Lovely X post Jo, clever girl. Awful about Photobucket.

Tiffstitch said...

Xcellent post and so sorry about the PB issues.