Translate

Sunday 26 March 2017

March WIPocalypse Social Media

WIPocalypse
WIPocalypse is hosted by Measi's Musings
Also linking up with 17 in '17

Each month we have to share the projects we want to complete before the End Of The World.  I have chosen my "17 in '17" which are the 17 projects I want to focus on this year.  You can see the full list on this page here.

I have had a good WIPocalypse month again.  I worked on a total of 7 of my 17 projects.  You will have seen photos of most of these on the Theme-tas-stitch post.

1. Just Nan Spring in the Square for the 10-a-day challenge:

Day 85 - working down the left hand border

2. Joan Elliott 12 Days of Christmas for the Christmas Ornie SAL:

regular evening stitching on the thin red line to the left

3. Brooke's Books' Stitchers Alphabet for The Alphabet Club:


4. Imaginating Happy Hallowe'en for the Hallowe'en SAL:


5. Oberlin Witches, also for the Hallowe'en SAL:


6. Nora Corbett M is for Mary which is my focus piece for the month:

Only the beads to be added so you are not seeing the full piece until then!

7. Lavender & Lace Enchanted Alphabet Spooky Conversion:

added the J this weekend

Measi always sets us a discussion topic:

March – What stitchy blogs, groups, or flosstubes do you follow and why?

I follow a large amount of blogs, you can see most of them in my sidebar.  Blogs are my preferred way of connecting with other stitchers.  You learn more about a person from their blog than from other social media and you can easily search for projects they have featured in the past.  You leave a comment, they reply and you start a dialogue together.  Of course we have our SALs, Blog Hops and Linky parties too.

I belong to a few FB groups.  I prefer the designer-specific groups where you will only see work from one particular designer and also comments from the designer themselves.  I do belong to a couple of general stitching groups which I joined for the themed SALs, something I love.

I do subscribe to some FlossTube channels too.  I love having someone chatting away while I stitch and I do feel that you really get to know a person when you watch their videos regularly.  The main difference between FlossTube and a blog is that there is more of a "them and us" feel about it.  "They" make the videos and "We" watch them.  The watchers seem to regard the vloggers as "experts" and ask them all sorts of questions about stitching regardless of whether the vlogger does that kind of stitching or has more than a year's experience!  Many vloggers seem to be either new to the craft or older stitchers who have recently taken it up again.  On the plus side, I love seeing what people's houses are like!  I also love watching FlossTube channels made by my blogging friends, when I read their blogs I can do it in their voice now!

FlossTube and FB definitely promote FOMO (Fear of missing out),  Whether it's joining every SAL released, buying every chart you see, joining every Fabric of the Month club or having 90,000 needle minders there does seem to be a more manic approach to the hobby than I've seen on blogs or forums.

There is a mood change just lately though, with the financial realities hitting people and Stitch From Stash taking off again.  Crazes go in cycles in stitching as with everything else.


๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ‡


Finally, we are approaching the Easter Holidays and there is still time to sign up for the Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop.  The more people we have, the longer the mystery phrase will be.  Just leave a comment if you'd like to be a participant.



26 comments:

Linda said...

Still lovin' all your projects Jo. I'm still waiting for a commitment for next year. lol

Linda

OhSewCrafty said...

Lovely progress as always! I see you managed to finish the wings on your fairy. Beading won't take too long, I'm sure. I hope you had a good Mothering Sunday.

Vickie said...

I found the discussion topic very interesting Jo. I don't do FB or Flosstube so you educated me. ;) And I still feel good with my decision. ha!

deb said...

So much fun to see your 10 a day JN grow (yes, am sure I'm repeating myself). Was just wondering whether you really stop after 10 stitches each day...? You are probably disciplined enough with your stitching to do so, but am sure I'd get all excited about some bit - or just zone out - and keep going.

Fascinated by the things you said about flosstube and FB and stitchy blogs, and interesting about stitch from stash reemerging. Am trying to do that myself this year, but it's an effort to get to some of the lovely things that can slip my mind when looking at the new pretties as it is a cost saving effort.

Stitching Noni said...

Great post Jo! Love seeing the progress on your projects over the month. Your Just Nan piece is growing every day! :o) I have to agree with you re the FOMO theme that is around at the moment.... I generally don't go down all of the rabbit holes but every now and then you can't hep it.... and while I love my needleminders I can't justify having too many more than I already have!!
Looking forward to seeing "M" all blinged up :o)
Hugs x

The Crafty Princess said...

I love all your projects. And I love the variety of your wips. Of course my favs are the Halloween pieces. I may be The Crafty Princess but you are my Halloween Queen. I agree I much prefer blogs to other social media. It is a more intimate journey. And I met the greatest people in blog land including yourself. Floss tubes are great but they really increase the SABLE Lol. But that's cool as I intend to live forever. Great post Jo xo Alicia

Barb said...

I love all the WIPS. I especially love the way you are personalizing that Halloween alphabet! I will have to look up the info on the Easter blog hop. Somehow I missed it.

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

Lovely stitching,your Spring square is coming along nicely.
I enjoyed reading your discussion topic answers.
FOMO! yet another acronym of which I was unaware.Now I have no fear I am missing out on what it stands for :)

Preeti said...

Good progress on all your WIPs!! I am contented with just blogging, I can't manage multiple social networking accounts.

Justine said...

Another great month for you Jo by the looks of it! I wonder too how you can have the discipline to stitch just 10 stitches every day.

It's very interesting what you said about blogging and social media. I much prefer blogging to other firms of media, somehow it's more intimate and I feel you get to know a stitcher more. I do however love Vonna's floss tube tutorials and there are a couple of other stitchers I like watching on floss tube but I also follow their blogs!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A great selection of stitching projects, Jo. Enjoyed reading your comments about blogs, Flosstibe, etc. I only discovered blogs around 5 years and they are my preferred way of keeping in touch with what other stitchers are doing. Other than Vonna's flosstube tutorials, I don't follow them as they are too time-consuming for me.

jocondine said...

Every post with 12 days of Xmas is welcomed, and your witches look so funny, it's always a pleasure to see them. I realize that I miss the topic reading you. No idea if there is some French floss tube! I like to watch tutos on YT and new to FB I don't feel comfy with it, always asking help of DD3 who is one of my 3 friends with her older sisters (!!!). No risk to have many needle minders, very difficult to get one here, I put my needle on my sweet! xxx

Katie said...

Love all your beautiful progress. Your projects are fun to follow along with. I agree with your answers to the question. I love blog reading and hope that it never dies out. I do pretty good avoiding the FOMO but sometimes it's scary to think I might miss something I couldn't live without haha.

Mary said...

Your wips are really beautiful. I enjoy all aspects of connecting with stitchers whether it is Facebook, blog, Instagram or Flosstube.

diamondc said...

Hi Jo: Great progress, I am envious.

Blessings
Catherine

Brigitte said...

This ten-a-day stitching is more than amazing. Each time you show your project I'm surprised how much it has grown since the last time. Nevertheless I couldn't do it because I can't put a project down after only ten stitches, lol.
You said it all about blogs. As long as there are enough blog writers and readers I'll stay with my blog as well. And with those who have active blogs.It's just a lot of fun. I can't say anything about FB because I'm not a member, and floss tube is just great to accompany me when ironing and sometimes even when stitching. And fortunately I left FOMO behind many, many years ago, lol.

Karen said...

Hi Jo, your WIPs are fabulous, I love seeing the progress. You must be so disciplined to do just 10 stitches, I'd fail big time at that! I think your comments on the discussion are spot-on. I watch FT sometimes but not on FB, so I miss out on some SALs, but I have so much to do anyway. So glad I've returned to blogging, more friendly I think. Kx

Cathy said...

You have a nice variety of WIPs happening! I'm new to the Flosstube viewing world, and am almost overwhelmed at how many videos there are. I know that I'll be sticking to blogging myself.
Cathy

Lili said...

Beautiful stitching, Jo! And "M" have wings now, so very pretty!
Since the beginning of the year I spend less time on facebook, more stitching done. I don't watch many flosstubes. I do enjoy Instagram and blogs.
Hugs,
Lili

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress on your projects this month, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the M finished! I had to laugh at you talking about reading blogs in people's voices...that does sound like a lot of fun.

Julie said...

Great amount of little x's in this post, well done Jo.

Mrs Milkybar Kid said...

Totally agree with what you said re social media and stitching Jo - the very reasons I stopped making videos and left the whole Flosstube hoop-la behind long ago lol!

Paula said...

Oh you're right about the FOMO - but I sat down with my stash and WIPs and realised I am happy with what I have. I did sign up to Stitch From Stash but that makes me think twice. Like a chastity belt on my visa!
https://sewscrapmuse.wordpress.com/

Vickie said...

I love watching flosstube. It is so nice to see what others are working on...and yes. They do enable us to buy more and more!!! Will be happy to be in the Easter Hop i you need me!!!!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Lovely stitching, as always, and very interesting answers! It is definitely hard to resist all the latest shopping trends, but shipping costs are always a very nice reality check for me :D

pandchintz said...

Lovely stitching - you're progressing well!