Translate

Saturday 7 December 2019

The People Chose Winter


This SAL is all about what you want to see on the blog.  Each month I ask for suggestions for themes and then put them up to the members of the IHSW Group on FB to vote for their choice.  This is what they have chosen:

December - Winter
January - Lizzie*Kate
February - TBA

It's definitely felt Wintery around here over the last week, the bird bath has been frozen over a couple of times too.  A lot of Winter designs spill over into Christmas so I'm trying to focus this post on the less-festive side of things!

Which means snowflakes to cross stitch designers, the perfect chance to show off your sparkle with beads, metallics and shades of bluey whites.

My current daily stitch is a SAL from Stitchonomy where she releases a simple snowflake each day.  I have chosen to bead my flakes on a lovely dark blue opalescent fabric from a random eBay buy:


You can find the Facebook group here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/StitchonomySAL

It's a public group so you'll be able to see all the loveliness without joining. The design was free if you signed up before a certain date but will be available from her Etsy shop at the end of the SAL. https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/Stitchonomy

She also has a Patreon account where you can sign up and get early access to the SALs plus a free daily small chart - https://www.patreon.com/posts/22270940

Regular readers will know I do love a series and the next three samplers are all from series.  The first is from an old issue of Cross Stitcher magazine from the 1990s:


The next is Just Nan's Winter Romance:


Followed by her Winter Typography:


I also stitched this little Drawn Thread design entitled Spot of Winter.  I have done two of the seasons, must do the other two and then fully finish them!


Mill Hill have some lovely Wintery charts, this one is Winter Wonderland:


Nora Corbett has a series of very sparkly Little Snowy buildings of which I have stitched one - Little Snowy Gray Cottage.  There is hardly any DMC in these, all Kreinik and Whisper:


Joan Elliott has a lovely Winter Fairy, but I have only stitched her hand!


That was part of a Birthday card I made for a friend featuring the hands from all four seasons.

I do have another Winter design in my "To Stitch" list; the fourth of Just Nan's Seasons in a Square series.  Hopefully it will be my "10 a Day" for 2020 (Maybe I should make that 20-a-day for 2020?)  Added bonus - Christine won't snigger every time I say Tena Day.



Now it's over to you.  All you have to do is make a post on the theme of Winter, mention The People's Choice SAL (you can copy the picture I used at the top of this post and in my side bar) and my blog. Please link up using the URL of the actual blog post, not the home page of your blog. I look forward to seeing what you all post.


*

*

Finally, I need your suggestions for the next poll. Any thing, no matter how obscure, weird or random will go into the poll. Keep the theme suggestions to a single word or two - so you could have Cats, or Blue, or Holidays, or Warmth etc. Really anything which could be illustrated in cross stitch.


Looking forward to reading them all!




11 comments:

Pamela said...

You have done some wonderful winter scenes. I like things that go together also.

Vickie said...

Those beaded snowflakes are really special Jo. And Just Nan's Winter Romance is fabulous!

Mary said...

All of your winter stitches are just amazing, it's impossible to pick a favorite!!

Linda said...

Love all of your winter projects Jo.

Linda

Barb said...

You have a wonderful collection of winter design!!

Ariadne said...

I love snowflakes and these blue ones really look great. Mill Hill Winter wonderland is very attractive too. AriadnefromGreece!

Katie said...

Lovely winter themed post. I just love those typography designs. So cool! All posted and linked up. Thanks for hosting. Are you going to continue it the rest of 2020?

jocondine said...

Sparkly cottage looks so nice, beads and metallic are perfect for snowy landscapes. A white monochrome chart is still on top of my (winter) list! xxx

Rachel said...

I find the the bluey-white palette of winter relaxing so really enjoyed scrolling through your designs.
Little Snowy Gray Cottage must have been a labour of love with all that Kreinik, but the effect is stunning.
Thanks for still running this SAL! :)

Christine said...

Oh I like those beaded snowflakes on the blue

Astrids dragon said...

So many lovely winters, I really love the typography. I like the beads in your snowflakes, I still want to stitch mine and plan on adding some beads here and there.