Translate

Monday 22 April 2019

April IHSW



IHSW or International Hermit and Stitch Weekend always starts on the third Friday of the month.  It's a chance to lock yourself away and focus on your stitching for the weekend.  You can take part on your blog or via the Facebook page.  Links at the bottom of this post.

It's great when IHSW co-incides with a double Bank Holiday Weekend AND you don't have to work at all.  So I got plenty done on all four days this month.

My main focus was my Discworld Mappe.  Here is where I started on Friday:

No photo description available. 

I had already stitched a length of brown when I realised I hadn't taken a starting photo.

Here's where I finished today:


We now have a fish and the whole of the Counterweight Continent done except for the backstitch.

The Counterweight Continent - according to L-Space

The entire continent is governed by the Agatean Empire, whose capital city is Hunghung.

Geographers and philosophers had long inferred the existence of such a continent, as in order to make the Discworld "work" , it was taken as given that there must be a more-or-less equal weight on the shoulders of all four elephants. Otherwise things would get distinctly unbalanced and the floor might start to tilt underfoot, with unforeseeable and possibly dire consequences. (This prospect also engages the minds of the Balancing Monks, who travel around the Discworld leaving judiciously located small weights behind them wherever they travel, so as to keep things in balance).

Source: L-Space


Great excitement as I also had a new start this weekend.  Last year I was stitching-along with Linda on Mrs Peggotty's Alice and the Flamingo.  Linda was very keen to stitch another design this year and we chose The Queen of Hearts.  She will be my "bath-time" project for the rest of the year.  For new followers, this is NOT a project I stitch in the bath, but one I stitch while my son is in the bath and I watch him to ensure neither he nor the bathroom drown.

When I printed out the chart for the Queen, it became obvious she is smaller than Alice.  Which seems strange.  So, in order for them to appear more similar I have chosen to stitch her on 22 count hardanger rather than 25 count evenweave.

Here is my progress so far:

stitched on 22 count hardanger


A few people have said that they don't do Facebook and asked if I could host a link-up for them, so here it is! Just add your name and the link to your actual IHSW post, not just your blog home page.

*

*

The next IHSW will be 17th - 19th May so make sure you note the date in your diary or come and join us in the Facebook Group - IHSW on Facebook. If you don't do Facebook then you can check in here.


Finally, thank you to everyone who took part in the Easter Treasure Hunt Blog Hop and everyone who has hopped around to visit the blog and guess the mystery phrase.  All the links go direct to the posts now so you have plenty of time to try and guess the phrase.  Happy Hopping!







10 comments:

Julie said...

Great progress on Discworld, you had a great IHSW.

Linda said...

The Mappe looks great Jo. Nice start on the Queen.

Linda

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Ah missed it again! I will own to having quilted rather than cross stitched. Glad the Hop links are direct now, I worried there would be some confusion for those landing on my page at later posts. Enjoying seeing your Disc World Map grow.

Barb said...

Discworld is one very amazing piece of stitching. I am sure your son will love it! Thanks again for the Easter Hop. I am still working on visiting!

diamondc said...

Oh my gosh you have done so much on Disckworld, what an amazing design.
I am looking forward to progress on your new start.

Have a great week-end.

Catherine

Beth in IL said...

I love Discworld! I keep getting lost on the phrase and life is a little busy. Oh well. My brain isn't good with crossword puzzles either.

Leonore Winterer said...

Four day IHSW is just the best - great progress for you! I might be traveling again next time, but I do hope to avoid it, I've had enough traveling for a while!

Christine said...

Great progress on the Mappe.
How odd that Alice and the Queen aren't a pair

Rachel said...

Great progress for your extra long IHSW. I had plans to stitch over the Easter break but, alas, clearing out the garden sheds and re-felting a roof took priority! :)

Mia said...

I love the map, Jo. Unique stitching.
I haven't joined you for some time, but now I have started stitching again.
Kisses, my dear friend.