Translate

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Theme-a-licious Looking Backward and Forward VII



Theme-a-licious is hosted by Heather of It's Geek to Me

Each month Heather thinks up a theme for us to stitch to, or in my case, a theme to somehow shoe-horn my existing stitching into, no matter how tenuous the link!

This was the theme for July:

Jubilee July

It's time to celebrate! What are you celebrating this year? Stitch on your holiday-related projects, OR find some WIPs you know you'll never finish and set them free .

It's the end of the school year which I celebrated by presenting the Small Boy's keyworker with a stitched picture designed by me.  Based on an illustration for the traditional children's rhyme:



It was my friend's Birthday in July so I made her a card.  No, not cross stitched for a change!


My friend loves rubber duckies so when I saw these little ones on Ebay I knew they would be perfect for her.  The fabric I covered the card with is the one I will be using to back July's JBW cat ornie too.

What bigger celebration is there than a wedding?  This is the sampler I'm stitching for my cousin's wedding next month:


I had an outpatient's appointment this morning so I took this along.  I stitched an entire heart while waiting!!  A very nice elderly lady came by with her grand-daughter and asked to have a look.  She was most impressed as was the girl's mother who recognised it as cross stitch.  Yes, not knitting or crochet but genuine cross stitch!  The lady did not have a long wait so I said "I think I'll come to your clinic instead".  She replied "oh no, I go to the silly clinic because I do daft things sometimes".  It did remind me of the many trips to the hospital with my Nana over the years.  She would always kiss the nurses goodbye and insist on tea and cake in the cafe saying "Well, we've had a nice day out".

Earlier in the month I stitched some more of my Scarlet Letter sampler to celebrate Nicola's Scarlet Letter Birthday.  Here's the latest picture:



So, what's coming up next month?

Airborne August
What's that soaring through the air with the greatest of ease? It's the things with wings on your WIPs!


O....K....  Dragons have wings.  um...Joan Elliott's next two diary designs are a mermaid and a unicorn so no wings there.  The Mirabilia Round Robin will have to count and there is this design which was in the large box of stash I was given.  My friend asked me to stitch it for her as it is the one thing she regrets not being able to stitch herself:


It's an old Janlynn design called Gathering Honey.  Of course bees have wings.  The verse reads "Pleasant words are like a honeycomb.  Sweetness to the soul and health to the body" from Proverbs 16:24
Did you know that eating local honey can help with hayfever and pollen related asthma?

Finally the good news is my friend said I may pass on some of her designs to my blogging friends.  They are mostly small pieces suitable for ornies or box tops, there are some nice sunset designs and a lovely set of seasonal samplers, again quite small.  I'm thinking about doing a SAL for those starting with Winter in January 2014.  I'll post a picture soon and see who is interested.



12 comments:

drea_dear said...

Oooh, I'm joining the theme thing. Fairy Sisters is definitely a WIP with wings!

Zeb said...

What a neat idea! I've recently gotten back into stitching and blogging, so this is a great way to keep me motivated :)

And I love your choices for this theme! ;)

Linda said...

Everything looks great Jo.

Linda

Annette-California said...

I didn't know that about the honey helping hayfever.thank you for the tip. I have the old magazine with the chart for gathering honey. Beautiful design. love Annette

Christine said...

The rubber duck card is adorable!
Things with Wings, hmmm, maybe a nice X-wing ornie for my geekmas tree, what do you think?

Bernadett said...

Lovely stitchings and a great idea for a sal.:)
A pretty card that you made.:)
Wings...? I have to see my WIPs with wings...
School finishes at your place and it soon starts in my...

Greetinga.:)
Bernadett

Susan said...

I have a Christmas ornament with an angel on it that I've been working on forever. Maybe this Monty's theme will give me the push to finish it up.

All your stitching looks great!

Brigitte said...

Gathering Honey is a sweet design. I love these old design that you can also sometimes find in older magazines. My friend also eats loceal honey for her allergies, and honey is also said to have antibacterial ingredients.

Karoline said...

Great progress on your wips.

Gathering Honey is a lovely design.

The Crafty Princess said...

Hey there stunner!
Mary looks great and the framing is perfect. I'm sure teach will love it. And how cool is the duck card, very innovative. Good luck with Airborne August!
Alicia xo

Anne said...

Great progress on your Heart sampler. Love the story about your Nana...Nana's are the best! Gathering Honey is so beautiful Jo! I'm glad you will be stitching it!!

Julie said...

The rubber duckes are hilarious , love them!