Translate

Monday 24 February 2020

February IHSW



IHSW or International Hermit and Stitch Weekend always starts on the third Friday of the month.  It's a chance to lock yourself away and focus on your stitching for the weekend.  You can take part on your blog or via the Facebook page - IHSW on Facebook.

I started the weekend working on my Alice in Wonderland SAL, designed by Amanda Butler for  Cross Stitcher magazine.  I showed that in my TUSAL post yesterday so here's a quick reminder of the block I completed:

stitched on 32 count yellow Belfast

The White Rabbit only took two days so I used my Tiny Decision app to choose what to work on for the rest of the month.  Mrs Peggotty's Queen of Hearts came up.  in 2018 I stitched Alice and the Flamingo by this designer and loved her.  But the Queen is proving a different kettle of fish.  I started her as my bathtime stitch but progress was very slow and she fell by the wayside.

Last time I showed her was in September 2019 and she was here:

stitched on 22 count white hardanger

This is the portion I've been working on this weekend:


And here is what she looks like now:


I'll work on her for another five days and see how much boring background I can get done!

I did have quite an Alice themed month as I bought a new book for stitching inspiration:




As well as stitching the Alice in Wonderland sampler I decided to stitch just the backstitch on some random linen and make a little book up:


This page isn't finished yet.  I want to chart the gloves from the book and add a charm or maybe some ribbon.

The inspiration for doing this is a FB group about slow stitching.  Run by Paula MacGregor, it's all about making little fabric books from things in your stash.  There's embellishments and freehand embroidery and little buttons and so on.  Of course, mine has to be cross stitched themed and the Alice SAL seemed the perfect subject.

Here's a link to the project website if you want to learn more - Paula MacGregor - Ellen's Legacy


Finally, the next IHSW will be 20th - 22nd March so make sure you note the date in your diary or come and join us in the Facebook Group - IHSW on Facebook.  If you don't do Facebook then you can check in here by leaving a comment on my post. 



15 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Jo, oh you are so creative - I love the idea of your little Alice book.

Kaisievic said...

P.S. I just went and checked out Paula's page - how gorgeous!

Katie said...

Beautiful work on everything. You definitely had a themed weekend.

Beth in IL said...

Thanks for sharing Paula's page. Very interestin.

beadgirl said...

Cute! Satsuma Street is starting an Alice-themed mystery SAL, if you want to add to your project list :)

Ann C. said...

Your Alice in Wonderland sampler is coming along nicely!

butterfly said...

Love your Alice in Wonderland .
My daughter was in a show once playing Alice .
Sadly we lost her far to early in life ,so I do love seeing Alice .

Christine said...

Oh I do like the back stitch only Alice!

Vickie said...

The Alice book looks absolutely wonderful already! Love it!

Rhona said...

Love the Alice in Wonderland theme . Thanks for sharing the link.

Julie said...

You are an inspiration to us all Jo and come up with some wonderful ideas. Alice is stunning, both versions.

Carol said...

I really enjoyed seeing your Alice-themed stitching today, Jo! Would you believe I've never read the book--horrible for a former librarian!

Tiffstitch said...

Very neat idea with the book and love the line drawing effect of Alice. Will you attempt to chart your preferred White Rabbit? Hope the other motifs are more in keeping with the first one! Also nice to see the Queen again, good luck with it. :)

Rachel said...

What a great idea to create a book of backstitched sketches alongside your current Alice projects. It'll be interesting to compare the monthly blocks and seeing which other motifs you stitch and how they turn out. :)

Leonore Winterer said...

Great progress! The Queen really does have a lot of background stitching, I hope you'll soon make it to more interesting things.
I love the idea of fabric books, and Ellen's story, although the examples on that page are a little too abstract for my taste. But you Alice-sketchbook idea is just precious!