Translate

Wednesday 23 July 2014

IHSW July

Hosted by Joysze of Random Ramblings

IHSW = International Hermit and Stitch Weekend, or in this case Week!  As well as spending quite alot of time stitching at the weekend I decided to spend the last two days of the term stitching too, just in case I don't get so much done during the holiday!

The first thing I completed was Just Nan's Moon Riders Jack:


This was stitched on 32 count lavender evenweave using the recommended DMC except for the moon which I used DMC 4090.  I also changed the border to a stripy effect.  He's very dinky, only 2 inches square.  There are two more in the series which I have room for on this same piece of fabric.  As yet I'm not sure how to finish them.

The next project I decided to work on the first face in the Joan Elliott SAL.  This is a FB exclusive featuring reworkings of previous releases.  This is Guardian Angel, previously released as a Festive Angel.  Joan has changed the colours to suit the SAL and make her less Christmassy.


There has been alot of discussion over whether to stitch this SAL over 1 or over 2.  Quite a few of us have decided to stitch the skin over 1 but leave the rest over 2.  The ones I have seen look lovely stitched like this. 
One question I do have after looking at some of the over 1 skin - when you stitch this way do you literally stitch four small x for every large X exactly as charted or do you rechart smoothing out the blocks?  The second method seems logical to me, but it is more work so I wonder if everyone does it?

As you all know the Summer Postcard Blog Hop is now underway.  I have sent out five postcards so far and all have been posted on the recipients' blogs.  It's not too late to join in, just drop me an email!

First postcard from Marcy goes to Gracie at Needles, Pins and Dragonflies
Second postcard from Krista goes to Jocondine at Jocondine
Third postcard from Michelle goes to Sharon at Shebafudge
Fourth postcard from Mouse goes to Vickie at A Stitcher's Story
Fifth postcard from Christine goes to Marcy at Stitching Plus

Finally, I got a real life postcard myself, from my band sampler Round Robin!  Here is the postcard:


And here is the sampler sunning itself on the beach:


Isn't it nice when your stitching is better travelled then you are yourself?


15 comments:

Rahenna said...

I always rechart to smooth out the skin if I'm stitching over one. It's not too hard or time consuming - I just draw a pencil line on/through the existing stitches to make a more gradual curve, etc. It's pretty easy, especially if you have a working copy... just draw all over it, and if you use pencil you can change it easily if you don't like how it's coming along. :D

Here's a couple of projects I did with smoothed over-one skin:

http://rahenna.blogspot.com/2013/11/four-and-half-hours-of-beading.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Zv3Ysnm0cMQ/UQ7oCg_p9cI/AAAAAAAABPE/TjxUxF89tDU/s1600/titania_feb03b.JPG

Man, I hope those links work. :p

TammyK said...

Great progress. Still looking great.

Krista said...

Lots of great happenings for your IHSW week! Love that your round robin is having summer fun too! LOL

Bianca said...

Moon Rider Jack is so cute!

Marcy said...

The Joan Elliot sal is beautiful!

Julie said...

Mood Rider looks great, I like it on the lavender fabric. The SAL is looking wonderful.
Have a lovely summer hols with the boys.

Thoeria said...

Oh man.....I LOVE your SAL :) Great going!

Lili said...

Jack is so cute!
Lovely progress on the SAL piece!

Hugs,
Lili

Brigitte said...

Great weekend stitching. And this Joan Elliot SAL will be gorgeous. I have seen all the summer postcards that were sent. A very nice idea.

Michelle said...

I love the sampler on the beach xx

sally said...

Lovely stitching Jo the Joan Elliott RR is looking beautiful. x

Linda said...

Great stitching Jo. That little finish is adorable. Love the colors.

Linda

Christine said...

Jack is rather fun.
I'd definitely take the opportunity to smooth out the design if I was adapting it to over 1

Preeti said...

Cute finish!! Great progress on SAL!

Suz said...

Moon Riders Jack is adorable!

The first time I stitched skin over one (Celtic Christmas), I did stitch four little stitches in place, exactly as charted, and to this day I hate it.

I always just eye-ball it now, but I love Rahenna's idea of penciling through the chart (I write all over my *original* charts - hah!), and her pieces are lovely.