Translate

Friday 15 November 2013

Theme-a-licious November Update


Theme-a-licious is hosted by Heather of It's Geek to Me

Each month Heather thinks up a theme for us to stitch to, or in my case, a theme to somehow shoe-horn my existing stitching into, no matter how tenuous the link!

This is the theme for November:

No-Xs November
What can you make without making an X?? Blackwork, hardanger, embroidery, needlelace, and the list goes on! Don't panic...you can even backstitch for the month!

I have actually been stitching alot of little Xs, very little, tiny Xs over 1 on 28 and 32 count.  I did add all the beads and Kreinik to Titania, Queen of the Fairies so here is a little sneak peek of the top part of her:


So that's it for No Xs!

Here are some of the little Xs.  First is the Owl from Blackberry Lane Designs:


Stitched over 1 on 28count Black Jobelan.  I'm using the DMC conversion and 92 for the background.  Because I'm using 1 strand over 1 it's not changing colour very much but it should be ok once I've finished.

And here is Fairytale Advent Calendar from The Little Stitcher:


This is stitched over 1 on 32count Belfast Vintage Grain using the DMC conversion.
By the way, what do you think the animal in number 4 is?  A hare or a dog maybe?

I am trusting the colour choices in this one, on the ring they are all shades of brown/sludge but once on the fabric they take on coloured hues, the little woman in 6 is a great example.  She is stitched in 3021, 433 and 3782 but they look more like red and blue together.

It seems from the comments left that I am getting alot of kudos from stitching over 1.  I have a secret!  I am so shortsighted I have to stitch looking over the top of my varifocals and hold the fabric approximately 6 inches from my eyes.  Whatever the count.  So stitching over 1 is no harder than stitching on aida.  The biggest danger is stabbing my nose with the needle it's that close!

Finally, it's time to sign up for the Annual Advent Calendar Blog Hop.  As in previous years there will be 24 doors posted on my blog.  Each person who signs up will be allocated a date, on that date they must post a photo of something Festive they have stitched, either in the past or this year.  I will then copy the photo across to my post and by Christmas Eve we will have 24 Open Doors each linked to a different blog.  Last year I had more than 24 people so we had some Double Days which was great.  To take part please email me letting me know if there is a date you prefer or wish to avoid.  




8 comments:

Kielrain said...

I am really loving that advent calender.

The Crafty Princess said...

Nice Beading Jo and I'm loving how that lil owl is coming along on the black fabby!

I think the animal is number 4 is a fawn!

Alicia xo

Linda said...

Wonderful progress Jo. The first thing I saw when I looked at #4 was a dog.

Linda

Jan Gartlan said...

Such lovely WIPs. My favourites are the owl and the advent pictures. You are clever for stitching 1 over 1!

geeky Heather said...

Lovely beading and that owl is fabulous. He's so graphic! I think you're completely correct that that animal in #4 is a "hare/dog maybe", LOL! Let's ask Carly Rae Jepson what she thinks....

I stitch the same way when I need to do something really small...in fact, I was working on the stumpwork today by taking off my glasses (which I never wear).

The real question is, if a stitcher stitches an X and it's too small for anyone to see, is it really an X?

Christine said...

LOL, I used to do that with my glasses too, then I went to specsavers.
Literally. I have a pair of glasses just for stitching.
I love those tiny advent designs, I'd say mystery animal was either a dog or a young deer

Susan said...

Very nice stitching. No matter how you have to do it, stitching over 1 on dark fabric? Not sure I could do that even with my lighted magnifier.

Annette-California said...

Fairytale advent calendar is looking so beautiful. Oh boy 1 over 1 even if its hard to see - Bless you!
Lovely beading thank you for the sneak peek:)
love Annette